Al wiring

Old 05-17-06, 04:20 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Al wiring

What brand wire connector do I use to pigtail cooper to aluminum wire, any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 04:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by seacilian
What brand wire connector do I use to pigtail cooper to aluminum wire, any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
This is a VERY important subject and can be very dangerous if not done right. Therefore I recommend you use your search engine, typing in about aluminum wiring...and read.

Most simple pigtailing is not allowed of and by itself. There are those who do do this with an anti-oxidant paste in the wire nuts, though. And I guess there are special wire nuts. But I recommend you read up on proper joinery to avoid (especially) outlet meltdown and or fire. The absolute best way short of total rewiring to copper is by a crimping tool, only done by instructed licensed electrician trained with this tool, that exerts about 10,000 psi of force at the crimp. DO NOT ATTEMPT YOUR OWN CRIMPING USING HOME CENTER STORE CRIMPING TOOLS AS THIS WOULD PROBABLY BE *THE* MOST DANGEROUS THING YOU COULD DO! I have had experience in aluminum wiring with a mobile home I used to own.

Old 05-18-06, 02:22 AM
S
Thank you for the advice I have been looking like you suggested.

Old 05-18-06, 03:35 AM
D
I believe "Ideal" makes a wirenut that is UL listed for this purpose. It is purple in color, and I think it is "Ideal #65", but I am not positive on the model number....

Hope this helps...

Old 05-18-06, 09:13 AM
S
Thank you I just bought some but they are not really rated very highly.

Old 05-18-06, 03:16 PM
S
Are there any pros that would like to reply?

Old 05-18-06, 04:13 PM
If you will notice, in reading the various aluminum wiring sites that are on the net...you will see differences of opinion. Some will say nothing is good short of rewiring to copper... where others claim that as long as the connection is made good by either stripping the brittle aluminum wire back to good aluminum and using aluminum/copper rated outlets and switches, that that is perfectly legal and fine. And that if yoiu use the approved method of joinery between aluminum and copper, that too is fine.

About 3 months ago, when I was in the process of selling the mobile home, and telling all prospective buyers about the aluminum wiring...I called a state certified electrician I know, and we had an in depth conversation regarding this. He said that coincidentally, he just had recently been to a state conference in Tomah, Wisconsin, and the topic of aluminum wiring was discussed, and it has been determined that aluminum wiring is perfectly safe and legal when done in accordance with guidelines. And that a property owner is not obligated to tell buyers that the residence has aluminum wiring because this would be akin to admitting something was wrong when it is not only NOT wrong, but is approved. (Non-the-less, I told everyone just the same, as I wouldn't want to test this out in court, seeing that we had all these outlet meltdowns going on.)

Now...if YOU plan on tampering with aluminum wiring in your house, to save a buck...this could lead to legal and insurance issues in case anything were to ever happen. Think long and hard on this one.

Old 05-18-06, 04:33 PM
F
Let you know i am master electricican here but i will get to quick point with related with alum wiring system.

the Ideal purple wirenuts,,

well,, i am not too strong a fan with this due my past exerince with this mess but there are few other approved methods to use for copper/alum splices but i will give few companies shortly.

one is NSI they have very small insluated bussbar with two screw in there [ i have to find the catalog number for this one ]

and there is few other as well but most of the time one sure way is use split bolt [ rated for BOTH al/ cu ]

crimping sleeve humm,, that is mixed bag hard to say with this one depending on what brand it is so i can't really comment on this one due the UL did not say not too much with al/ cu splice at all so i rather say not much on this one for now.

the UL been reserching on this issuse for quite a while and if my memory serve me right one or two state[s] did have heckva a time with this issuse.

one of my freind is a master electrician as well we did disscuss about this and it did show up in few other forums as well [ i will not disclose the location for now unless i get the permmison from modaitor to say so ]

if you have other question please feel free to ask us we will try to give you the starght shot with alum wiring system

Merci, Marc

Old 05-20-06, 09:21 AM
S
Bump Bump Bump

Old 05-20-06, 02:55 PM
Call up your city or county electrical inspector for your area...anonymously... and ask about this joinery. Tell him a friend wants to know.