Installing a New Electrical Outlet

Old 05-18-06, 07:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a New Electrical Outlet

First of all, I want to say how informative these boards have been for some of my other projects.

My question has to do with installing a new outlet that will be used for a 19" flat panel lcd tv. Currently there is not an outlet where I want it, so I would like to tap into another outlet which is in the same room (dining room).

I have tracked down the wiring for the already usable outlet (is never used though) in the rafters in the basement. The way it is set up is that it is connected to a 15 amp circuit. The wires are red, white and black and they are in a metal pipe (old house). The new outlet I would like to wire is right above a spot where this wire pipe makes a turn and there is a spot to access these wires. I know this because I took off the cover at this turn. Can I simply splice into these wires and run them to the new outlet right above this turn in the pipe?

I am not sure if it is a 14 gauge or 12 gauge wiring that is currently in the pipe. Does it matter if I use 14 gauge or 12 gauge for the new outlet? Also, do I just connect a black wire to the black wire and a white wire to the white wire in the pipe. Do I not do anything with the red wire. Also, what about the ground?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-06, 08:50 AM
R
Do not do anything until you have read at least one book on home wiring.

Then, do not tap this receptacle. Run a new circuit from your panel.

Tapping dining room, kitchen or bathroom circuits is a sure way to create a code violation.

Old 05-18-06, 09:03 AM
S
Also I would suspect this is may not be 120V, is it on a single pole breaker or a 2 pole? It could also be part of a multi wire circuit, or switch loop. If it was mine it would get a fresh wire back to the panel for this new outlet especially with expensive new equipment hooked to it, takes care of a lot of issues.