Difference between Square D and Square D Homeline

Old 05-18-06, 08:41 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Difference between Square D and Square D Homeline

To my inexperienced eyes, both (panels & circuit breakers) appear to be the same. But non-Homeline is substantially more expensive than Homeline. Please advise.

Price-wise, Siemens and GE are between Square D and Square D Homeline. Does quality go with price? Please advise.

My need: 60A outdoor main disconnect (2/4), and 100A outdoor lug panel (3/6). And circuit breakers. Permanent installation.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-06, 08:59 PM
F
are you plan to do the work on the breaker box yourself ??

there is big diffrence on qualty on between SqD " QO " series and " Homeline " breakers.

the QO series breaker[s] are 3/4 inch wide and they do come in single or doule pole [ have 3 pole verison for commercal area ]

the Homeline breaker are 1 inch wide and they are kinda like univerusal breaker and they come in both single and two pole verison.

both have GFCI and AFCI breakers as well if your sisuation called for

My need: 60A outdoor main disconnect (2/4), and 100A outdoor lug panel (3/6). And circuit breakers. Permanent installation.
what the reason why use this set up ?? normally we use more larger box let us know

for other type of breaker and boxes like Cutter-Hammer and G.E. both are good
Siemmis is good brand breaker also it used to be ITE breaker so i dont have much curpit with them

but if you want my honest option i just stay away from GE boxes for one good reason they have tiny 1/2 inch breaker and also one inch breaker in single and double pole verison this type of breaker can cause alot of greif if not mounted right .

but really it is your choice but if you feel not comfortbale with this just get a electricican they will help you to guide it right and there is a bit of code [ rules ] to dealt with it

Merci , Marc

Old 05-18-06, 10:10 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Good info presented already. I LOVE QO breakers, but I rarely install them because everyone wants to go cheap so I make do, usually with Homeline or Seimens, whatever is convenient at the time; I treat them fairly equally in quality.

I only do GE when working in a panel that's already GE or when the customer specifically requests GE (which is rare that they ever request anything specific...). GE is too proprietary and expensive for things like AFCIs.

Old 05-19-06, 06:24 AM
P
I am in central Florida and all construction related contractors are booked for weeks and months. They wouldn't take my little project. And I am far out from the city in the middle of cow pastures. That's why I am doing it myself.

I want to use quality products that will last long. You already said QO circuit breakers are better than Homeline. Once I choose QO circuit breakers, I will have to use non-Homeline panels for QO circuit breakers don't fit Homeline panels. Thanks for input on GE and Siemens. I will stay with SqD QO CB and panel.

I almost forgot. You asked me why 60A main disconnect and 100A main lug panel. It is pump only service, to run irrigation pump in agricultural land.

By the way, this was not my first question I posted regarding my project. I think I now know what I need to know. I guess it is the difference between pros and novices like me. Pros know there is more to be learned. And I think I know all I need to know.

Thanks.

Last edited by puter; 05-19-06 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 09:45 AM
S
Both breakers pass the same UL listing, for home type stuff the Homeline is good and hard to beat for price and is everywhere. A big advantage of QO is the visi trip indicator. It wont make much difference which you use, wouldnt to me. I use QO due to the fact I started with that and with about 30 panels in service there is no need to change in the middle. Homeline will last just as long. Guys do have a preference but as far as application and operation there isnt much difference especially at this level.

Old 05-19-06, 09:51 AM
F
Let me add this other thing about the QO series breaker box.

the QO series do have copper bussbar in the breaker box while the Homeline series do have alum bussbar both are pretty good for most useage.

but for outdoor useage i rather use the copper bussbar due the " moisture " evorement.

if you use the proper box like the 3R for outdoor you should have no trouble with this set up .

Merci, Marc

Old 05-19-06, 10:30 AM
P
I opened both QO and Homeline panels at Lowes. Both have aluminum bus bars. They looked almost identical to me as far as quality is concerned. That's why I asked the question.

Old 05-19-06, 10:50 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think french277V is correct about the bus bar differences. If you go to the square d website you can compare them. The literature does state copper plated for the QO's.

Old 05-19-06, 11:08 AM
F
http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ele...R0001R1003.pdf

this is a QO verison of SqD breaker and breaker line please note this is a pdf verison

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ele...R9601R1003.pdf

this is a Homeline verison

you can see the diffrence there

Merci, Marc

Last edited by french277V; 05-19-06 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 11:40 AM
P
Thank you much. Now I see the difference.