Portable Generator Hook Up

Old 05-19-06, 08:37 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Portable Generator Hook Up

Question: Can I hook up my portable generator to my Garage subpanel?

I have a professionally installed 60 Amp sub panel in my garage that feeds diectly from my main house panel.

In the case of a power failure.
1- Could I shut off my main breaker that feeds my main house panel.
2- Switch off all unwanted breakers (I.e. hot water, electronic equipment, wall receptables, baseboard heaters) and leave only my well pump, sewer pump, and fridge/freezer switched on.
3- Plug my portable generator into my subpanel into a 220V plug in to feed what remains on in my main main panel.

When power returns, I do the steps in reverse.

Does this make sense? Any concerns/problems with this setup?

Regards,

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-06, 08:44 AM
R
Absolutely positively NOT. Doing so is extremely dangerous and against code.

Old 05-19-06, 08:52 AM
N
Thanks for your response Bob.

I am trying to understand the concern. If the main power breaker from the meter to the main panel is OFF, there is no longer a connection to the GRID. The generator becomes the new GRID feed. As long as the generator is turned OFF and unplugged before quicking the main breaker back on, I can't see why it would pose a problem.

Can you elaborate on this?

I appreciate your time and input.

Regards,

Eric

Old 05-19-06, 08:58 AM
R
It poses a problem because the neutral is still connected to the grid, and because there is no way to ensure that the main breaker is turned off.

Someone who doesn't know any better, or you yourself may forget to turn off the main breaker or may think it is turned off and you end up powering the grid.

If you did this and someone was hurt or injured because of this you would be charged. If someone dies, you would likely have plenty of time to think about it in jail.

Old 05-19-06, 09:41 AM
time bomb in the garage

Originally Posted by Nutra
As long as the generator is turned OFF and unplugged before quicking the main breaker back on, I can't see why it would pose a problem.
But there is nothing to ensure that this occurs. A proper interlock or transfer panel ensures that this does occur. Humans make mistakes. If you think that you never would, you are mistaken once again.

This is one mistake that is avoidable by using the correct equipment for the job.

Old 05-19-06, 09:58 AM
F
I will agree with Bodine and Racraft on this matter and you will need a lnterlock kit or transfer switch.

I have seen some crazy hook up with their portable generator how they dealt with this.

it did show up quite few other forums as well as we will give you a fair warning please heed our warning to save your life on this matter.

this is a good graphic example what will happend if you forgot to turn main breaker off while the generator is running what it will do is backfeed to the power company grid and from your geneator run 120/240 volt when it hit the transformer it will boost the voltage to high as 7200 volt or more and it can hit the unexpecting lineworker[s] and hurt them very serious.

The electric transformer DO work both way so that one reason why we say have interlock or transfer switch to prevent it happend

the power company take this matter very serious so please respect the safety for everyone here

Merci, Marc