Hot Tub Wiring

Old 05-20-06, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hot Tub Wiring

Sorry if this horse has been beat but I'm trying to determine a few things. I'm using a Spa Disconnect 240v/50amp and plan on running the wire/conduit from the breaker box, through the crawl space, out the house to the disconnect on the side/back of the house then beneath a deck to the hot tub. The Spa company says the connection is four wire. I have just a few questions:
1. What size and type of wire should I be using(in conduit)?
2. Best to buy 3wire then add 1, or is there four wire?
2. Do four wires come off of the breaker box(Cutler-Hammer)?
3. If not;Where does the neutral wire come from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-06, 07:24 PM
Four wire is common and available at electrical supply houses and most big boxes. You get red and black for each supply phase and white for neutral. The 4th wire is the ground. I think you probably need AWG 6 wire for 50 amps but I'll defer to one of the board electricians for the wire type.

Used to be big Wayne

Old 05-20-06, 07:46 PM
What you haven't told us is the distance of the run.

Use 6 gage wire, or larger, depending on the length of the run. Use individual wires. The ground wire MUST be insulated. You cannot use an uninsulated ground for this installation. You need a GFCI breaker for this installation.

There are numerous issues that must be dealt with. Pools and spas have very specific codes. You won't pass inspection if you don't follow them all.

Old 05-20-06, 07:59 PM
The run is approx. 35 ft to the disconnect(which has a GFCI) and 20ft to the tub.

Old 05-20-06, 08:00 PM
sorry. prob more like 15ft from the disconnect to the tub.

Old 05-23-06, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by bigdaddywayne
Sorry if this horse has been beat but I'm trying to determine a few things. I'm using a Spa Disconnect 240v/50amp and plan on running the wire/conduit from the breaker box, through the crawl space, out the house to the disconnect on the side/back of the house then beneath a deck to the hot tub. The Spa company says the connection is four wire. I have just a few questions:
1. What size and type of wire should I be using(in conduit)?
So far so good. The run to the spa should be in conduit, type MC cable, or in type AC cable with an insulated green ground.
2. Best to buy 3wire then add 1, or is there four wire?
Do not run cable in the conduit. Run individual wires instead. Type THWN wire is perfectly suitable for that application. The cable types I listed are available with four conductors. DO NOT USE type UF, NM, or AC without an insulated ground to supply the disconnect.
2. Do four wires come off of the breaker box(Cutler-Hammer)?
3. If not;Where does the neutral wire come from?
All four wires must come from the same panel. If the circuit originates in the service disconnecting means enclosure; i.e. the main panel were the first breaker or fuse pullout after the power companies meter is located; then both the neutral and the insulated green Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) will terminate on the bonded neutral bar were the Main Bonding Jumper is also terminated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wayne
You're Welcome

Old 05-24-06, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by hornetd
So far so good. The run to the spa should be in conduit, type MC cable, or in type AC cable with an insulated green ground.
Do not run cable in the conduit. Run individual wires instead. Type THWN wire is perfectly suitable for that application. The cable types I listed are available with four conductors. DO NOT USE type UF, NM, or AC without an insulated ground to supply the disconnect.
All four wires must come from the same panel. If the circuit originates in the service disconnecting means enclosure; i.e. the main panel were the first breaker or fuse pullout after the power companies meter is located; then both the neutral and the insulated green Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) will terminate on the bonded neutral bar were the Main Bonding Jumper is also terminated.

You're Welcome
Ran mine in 3/4 inch conduit. 1/2 inch would have been big enough but I had the 3/4 on hand.Had to be four wires #6 with an insulated ground like already mentioned. GFCI is in the disconnect.

Old 05-24-06, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1/2" is NOT nearly big enough for four #6THHN. With 3/4", four #6THHN is the MAX. Not fun to pull.

I always recommend 1" for four #6's.