electrifying garage

Old 05-20-06, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electrifying garage

I am running electric to the garage. I have 1 open breaker spot in the main box. Do I flick off the main breaker before I connect a new breaker switch? And is it better to put another box in the garage as to hook the lights to a breaker then the recepticles to a seperate breaker, or just run the power straight to the light switches and recepticles and have my 1 breaker in the main box? can someone tell me what is a better way?

Last edited by beroofed; 05-21-06 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-06, 10:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
STOP & Think about the question.

Perhaps you can re-phrase it. So we all can be more clear on what you'r asking.

(ELECTRICUTION *%^$#@&*..... You never will bounce back from it!!!!)

Old 05-21-06, 06:26 AM
First you need to decide how much power you need in the garage. Is there any power there right now? Is this an attached or detached garage? Do you want to run light and a few convenience receptacles, or do you have specific loads in mind, such as power tools, etc?

Old 05-21-06, 06:51 AM
It is easier (and safer) to add new box (called a sub panel) in the garage. That way, if you have a problem in the garage, the cutoff is close by. Once you figure out how much power you need, you can size the breaker in your main panel, the feed cable to your garage and the breakers in the new sub panel.

As a minimum you probably need a 15 amp lighting circuit and a 20 amp receptacle circuit. The receptacles have to be GFI protected. Personally, I would design for a minimum of 40 amps. That would give a little room for growth - things like door openers, etc. you have to figure out how to run the cable from the house to the garage. That will determine what type of cable must be used. A detached garage is usually supplied by a buried cable, while an attached garage can be fed with Romex.

If your house service entrance panel (SEP) has only one breaker spot left, you might think about an upgrade there. Unless you have quite a bit of electrical experience, that's probably left to a licensed electrician.

In any case, you definately should cut off the SEP power before doing any work in the panel (including removing the panel cover). There is stuff in there that can kill you.