cem
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
box ht- wheel chair users

considering wheelchair users & new construction:
what is the recommended height for:
switches?
outlets?

btw, Momma told me that she had an iron skillet for whenever I put just one outlet in the middle of the wall behind the couch or dresser! = add another outlet, think of Momma!

Old 05-21-06, 07:12 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In a private residence, put them where they work for the user.
Switches typicaly 48", rec. 18-24".

In public buildings, This falls under the building code and the "ADA",(Americans with disabilities act).

Old 05-21-06, 07:30 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Be sure to check the ADA 28CFR Part 36. Generally frontal reach is limited to 48". Side reach is from 9" to 54" on a flat wall. Over a standard countertop, reach is from 34" to 46" from the side and 44" frontal. So, generally, standard height installation would suffice in a residence. Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-06, 04:56 PM
C
cem
I do not think that either ans is what is being currently used by the "big box" builders -- in ProfessionalBuilder mag, they just talked of having the switches lower than standard, the outlets higher than standard --

I have used 24" for outlets before -- but seems like it was a special request ~40y/a.

How long are the "kiddie's extension handles" -- I have seen them adv in old nick- nack mag --

Old 05-22-06, 04:49 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The measurements I gave were "limits", not concrete numbers. They must just fall in that criterion. If you are building the house, and you have final say so, put the receptacles anywhere you want them, just don't install them lower or higher than the Act calls for.
Just make sure your electrical contractor knows where each and every receptacle and switch will go, and the height of each. You don't want to come in after the rock guys get through and find them in the wrong place or wrong height. The receptacles and boxes cost about $5 during new construction, but about $105 as a remodel, so put them in just like momma said. In the same breath, you just don't want to make the residence too unsightly if and when it goes for resale. Outlets too high or switches too low may not enhance resale value, while compromising may not make any difference.
I worked on an old abandoned elementary school, dated back in the 40's, and all the light switches were 6' off the floor. I found out later it was to keep the kids from playing a prank and turning off the lights. Go figure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: