Convert 2-wire to 3-wire -Theoretical?

Old 05-21-06, 03:34 PM
Convert 2-wire to 3-wire -Theoretical?

Theoretically, wouldn't you essentially have a grounded outlet if a 2-wire outlet were changed to a 3-wire outlet if the ground terminal were jumpered to the neutral terminal (the neutral and ground wires are connected to the same buss at the circuit breaker panel)? I understand this is not consistent with code, but it does ground the outlet in a situation where a ground wire is not easily installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-06, 04:03 PM
nap
Originally Posted by dwood
Theoretically, wouldn't you essentially have a grounded outlet if a 2-wire outlet were changed to a 3-wire outlet if the ground terminal were jumpered to the neutral terminal (the neutral and ground wires are connected to the same buss at the circuit breaker panel)? I understand this is not consistent with code, but it does ground the outlet in a situation where a ground wire is not easily installed.
Danger danger will robinson. Death and destruction are in your future.

Although what you propose is correct, it could cause an unsafe (read: deadly) and or damaging situation.

They insulate the neutral for a reason. You would essentially expose the neutral conductor to everybody.

Do NOT do this.

Old 05-21-06, 04:05 PM
If the neutral opens anywhere on the circuit it also puts 120 volts to any device with a metal frame(washer, dryer) that is internally connected to ground. Touch the device and a water pipe instant shock. Possible death.

Old 05-21-06, 05:13 PM
what we called " Bootlegged grounded system " this set up is very dangerous.

i got shocked few time when i work on few service calls related to this as other peoples tell ya the answer above me they are right on the target about safety.

I will not mess around with kind of set up all i can do is either fix it right to the code or use true 2 blade outlet or best way is run gfci but have labeled " do not have ground " or " ungrounded system " one of the two will give you a warning with this.

Merci , Marc

Old 05-21-06, 08:14 PM
Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like my assumption was correct, however very dangerous should the neutral side of the circuit be opened. The situation is in a 250 year old farm house which I think I shall remedy with GFI's labled as "ungrounded". I appreciate your time, humor and talent (not necessarily in that order)!

Old 05-22-06, 05:23 AM
GFCI receptacles are okay installed on ungrounded systems, as long as NOTHING is attached to the ground screw, provided they are labeled as you indicated they are, that the receptacle is ungrounded.