Under-cabinet Lighting

Old 05-21-06, 07:45 PM
Under-cabinet Lighting

I am adding under-cabinet lighting in my kitchen. I will also be putting some up-lights on top of the upper cabinets. I was thinking of using these for the under-cabinet lighting:
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u531077
I will need 3 sets of the 3-light kits (9 lights total) for the under-cabinet and maybe another 9 for up-lights (using similar low voltage halogen lights) I will be adding a new circuit for this. Should a single 15A circuit be sufficient?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like about 3 amps to me, plus whatever else is on the circuit.

Old 05-22-06, 05:57 AM
Be careful. Depending upon where you place the receptacle(s), this will be considered a small appliance circuit and subject to the requirements of same (meaning a 20 amp GFCI protected circuit).

Old 05-22-06, 07:52 AM
I was planning 2 outlets above the upper cabinets (for the up-lights) and 1 outlet inside one cabinet, and 1 outlet at the counter level, but inside one of those corner cabinets with the roll-down door. Would this configuration need a small appliance circuit? My wife was hoping I could put another outlet in the kitchen so maybe it might be best to just go ahead and do a GFCI circuit and add the extra outlet along with the outlets for the lighting. If I go this route, then what are the requirements? All outlets need to be GFI with a 20A ground fault circuit breaker? Are there any other requirements? Does this sound like a good approach?
Thanks for the advice!!

Old 05-22-06, 08:40 PM
Also, does this lighting kit http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u531077 allow the lights to be placed at any position along the electrical wire? I know there are some at Lowes that have maximum spacing of 18" which doesn't quite work in my layout. Thanks!