Appropriate way to cap wiring?

Old 05-22-06, 05:10 PM
Appropriate way to cap wiring?

I have three fluorescent lights installed in my kitchen and I plan on installing a new halogen flexible track fixture using one of the sets of wires. My question is what is the proper way to cap the remaining wiring that will be coming from the extra two fixtures? It is ok to just put caps and/or wrap each individual wire with electrical tape, push inside the drywall and patch over the top? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 06:21 PM
nap
Originally Posted by michaela
I have three fluorescent lights installed in my kitchen and I plan on installing a new halogen flexible track fixture using one of the sets of wires. My question is what is the proper way to cap the remaining wiring that will be coming from the extra two fixtures? It is ok to just put caps and/or wrap each individual wire with electrical tape, push inside the drywall and patch over the top? Thanks!
from your description I am guessing that the extra wires are not in a box. If this is true, do not just stuff them into the ceiling. You need to remove the feed end from whatever box they come from. I would still suggest removing they wires if possible but if the are impossible to remove without damaging things, I can see abandoning them then.

You do not want a wire that is or may become energized just floating around in a wall or ceiling.

Old 05-22-06, 06:47 PM
I haven't yet tried to remove the old fixtures but I imagine they were installed similar to other fixtures that I have removed which means no box. I would have to tear out the ceiling to remove the wiring entirely and I'm not planning on that large a renovation. If I patch over top and leave the live wires in the ceiling, is there any chance they could cause a fire?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Old 05-22-06, 06:52 PM
nap
Originally Posted by michaela
I haven't yet tried to remove the old fixtures but I imagine they were installed similar to other fixtures that I have removed which means no box. I would have to tear out the ceiling to remove the wiring entirely and I'm not planning on that large a renovation. If I patch over top and leave the live wires in the ceiling, is there any chance they could cause a fire?

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I suggested leaving them in if it would cause damage BUT you need to remove them from wherever they feed from Somewhere along the line, the have to go into a box (unless they were each fed from the previous fixture and only the first one went back to the switch box) You cannot leave hot wires just stuck into the ceiling. Well you can but it is not correct and acceptable.

Old 05-23-06, 04:37 AM
cem
either remove the wires from their source, or
install a small retofit box hung from the drywall & cover with a decorative plate.

consider running "Wire Mold" across the ceiling to the new fixtures, utilizing the existing wiring.

BTW, the old fluorescent fixture metal chassis' were the "box" for their wiring.