Ceiling Fan Goes on By itself

Old 05-22-06, 06:07 PM
Ceiling Fan Goes on By itself

My ceiling fan has recently started to go on by itself. Sometimes it is the light and sometimes it is the fan. The remote control appears to work all the fan functions fine. What could cause this? It is not hooked up to a switch. It works strictly by remote.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 07:06 PM
I am not familiar with fan remotes. so I don;t know if they work on infrared signals (like a TV remote) or if they work on RF (radio frequency) signals.

Has anything changed lately? New wireless telephones? New wireless computer router? New television, VCR, DVD player etc."

Have you tried changing the batteries in the remote?

Another possibility (and it's probably a long shot) is that the wires are loose in the box and sometimes making contact when they shouldn't be.

Old 05-22-06, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To add to Bob's statements....are you in a single residence or do you have common walls with another person, such as a condo, apartment, duplex, etc.? If yes, then it is highly likely a person in an adjoining room could be inadvertantly lighting and spinning your fan. If so, changing the dip switch settings on the fan and the remote may help. It may help anyway.

Old 05-23-06, 06:01 AM
Ceiling Fan Turns on by itself

Nothing new in the house electrical, but I do live in a condo so I have adjoining neighbors. I changed the batteries but if it continues I will change the settings in the remote and fan housing. I was afraid it was a short of some kind.

Old 05-23-06, 08:05 AM
I have a ceiling fan that is also totally controlled by a remote. I have had it turn on (light & spin) when we have had a very brief (1-2 seconds) power outage. I wouldn't have known about one power outage, but several of my digital clocks were blinking 12:00. A friend had the "phantom on" problem in a condo. She had to change the DIP switch combination settings SEVERAL times to eliminate "on commands" that were probably coming from a neighbor. Hope this helps.
Joe E

Old 05-24-06, 07:05 AM
Unsophisticated remoted controls like those found on a fan are subject to interference from aircraft, military , police and fire.

Gargage door openers used to be quite susceptible, but today almost all of them use more sophisticated coding systems and are relatively immune. Not so for fan and lamp controls.

Old 05-24-06, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by 594tough
remoted controls like those found on a fan are subject to interference from aircraft

Gargage door openers used to be quite susceptible,
I remember stories of garage doors opening when certain military aircraft flew by.