Amp draw from MH ballast

Old 05-23-06, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amp draw from MH ballast

I have an Advance M80 Metal Halide Ballast and i'm a bit confused about the amp draw. This is 120v.

The specs are as follows:

Operating amp draw - 2.6 amps

Open Circuit - 5.5 amps

Starting - 2.2 amps

What I need to know is, when is the ballast drawing the 5.5 amps?

3 of these ballast fired up at the same time on a 15 amp circuit would trip the breaker, correct? BUT, if all three were started 10 minutes apart, then the 3 alone would not trip the breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 11:51 PM
the M80 is 250 watts Pulse start Metal halide verison

we always figure the load which ever is higher either running or open or starting current.

your total current on " open " circuit is 16.5 amps and it might be a good chance it will trip the breaker depending on how long it stay on open circuit setting.

you asked about the "open current " which it mean the lamps is warm but not lighted due try to restrike [ restart ] until it the lamp restrike [ relighted ] most pulse start verison will restrike in about 4 to 8 min depending on the lumiaire design.

but a catch what you have is sorta like reactor ballast but i might be wrong here the M80 ballast do come in few diffrent verison like CWA = constant wattage autotransformer or lag or reactor [ reactor is common on 277 volt circuits ]

i did look up my catalog book it is HX-HPF that mean autotransformer - HPF[ High Power Factor ]

the reason why the open current is higher than either of them because the capatior which it do correct the power factor in the hid fixures.

but i will give you a head up this is a pulse start metal halide verison there are few other type of ballast do have much lower open currents but it depending on the manufacter of the lumiaire if this is oringal set up but if ballast burnted out you may have few options to look around for replacement

i will get back to the points really for HID lighting circuit you should be ok with 3 lumiaires if you delay the restarting time a bit other wise go with 20 amp circuit with #12 wire [ this is very common pratice with the HID's and larger flourscent lumiaires as well

if more question please do ask us here we will try to help you more

Merci, Marc

Old 05-24-06, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the response.

Here is a link to the specs of the exact ballast I am talking about:

http://www.advancetransformer.com/eC...4946566231.pdf

So basically, if the bulb burns out, it will cause an open circuit resulting in 5.5amps being drawn. Also, if there were no bulb in the socket at all, and you turned on the ballast, it would draw 5.5amps. Or, if the light is on, power flickers and shuts it down and then the power comes back on right away, but the bulb is hot and needs to cool down before it restarts, it's during that period that it will draw 5.5amps?

So, if all is well (properly working bulbs), all 3 on a 15A circuit should all fire up with only 6.6amps being drawn until fully lit and then they would draw 7.8amps.

Old 05-24-06, 04:36 PM
I will make is simple

the answer is yes if you look at the digriam of the ballast you will see the capatior [ word say " CAP" ] on line side

that is the power factor correction device to bring the power factor higher

and when you don't have bulb in the socket or burnted out bulb the " starter " ingitor will keep pulsing until either it will burn out itself or power turn off.

basically when we do the load demand figures with the lumiaires [ light fixures ] what we do figure the highest amp rating for each lumiaires either starting or open or running depending on the ballast type.

if you have 12 gauge wire size you can run this on 20 amp breaker you will be fine with this set up

Merci. marc

Old 05-24-06, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by french277V
your total current on " open " circuit is 16.5 amps and it might be a good chance it will trip the breaker
I don't see how.

Originally Posted by eropke
3 of these ballast fired up at the same time on a 15 amp circuit would trip the breaker, correct?
I say the chance is slim to none.

Old 05-24-06, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by french277V
and when you don't have bulb in the socket or burnted out bulb the " starter " ingitor will keep pulsing until either it will burn out itself or power turn off.
So a burned out one of these types of bulbs can still be using electricity? Is that correct?

What is going on if you see a faint glow of orange coming from some rods or whatever the things are that are in these type bulbs? Is a lot of electricty being wasted on a 100 watter that is doing this?

Old 05-24-06, 10:57 PM
So a burned out one of these types of bulbs can still be using electricity? Is that correct?
yes and no depending on the ballast type and the scope [ details ] is kinda out of diy area and very compated to explain in simple terms.

it work very simuair to Flourscent bulbs [ both lineir and compact flourscent bulbs ] they have ballast as well too.

What is going on if you see a faint glow of orange coming from some rods or whatever the things are that are in these type bulbs? Is a lot of electricty being wasted on a 100 watter that is doing this?
if the light go off like timed control or turn the switch off what you doing is shut off the " arc " current and the tips called electrode [ sp] it will glow orange for a min or two while cooling off and they dont use any electric at all when they shut off.

that why they are called " High Intensity Discharge " aka HID
bulb they do come in many diffrent size and shape and pretty wide skew of wattage from little 20 watt hid to monster HID which it will take more than 6,000 watt in specal useage

if you read the " lumin " [brightness ] you will see the hid and quite few flourscent have very high lumines per watts just like gas mile per gallon for car same idea

most HID useally are more than 70 Lumines per watts it right in the same spot in most floursecent bulbs as well.

i will give you a quick example of 100 watt indentscent bulb vs 100 watt metal halide bulbs

the100 watt incandescent bulb = 1270 lumens / ave 750 hours

the 100 watt HID metal halide bulb = 8500 lumens / ave hours 15,000 hours.

this is a basic guideline i just used the common type of bulbs not the fancy bulbs or long life bulbs in here

so you can understand how long the HID and flourscent can go before burn out

ps for 250 watt pulse start mh it have 20,000 lumines and 10,000 hours this on ballast number M80 for other type of ballast it will read diffrent

for ballast # M153 22500 lumines and 20,000 hours service life

that why with metal halide and floursecent you have to be carefull with the ballast slection and type of bulbs if you use wrong one it will either dont work or shorten the bulb life or burn up ballast one of few ways it will do.

[ myself i did see it alot so give you a head up and fair warning here that all ]

Merci, Marc

Old 05-25-06, 07:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So Marc,

The bulb I have, on a circuit of other like bulbs, that are always left on at the entry to the building, is glowing faint orange from the electrodes it appears. So, is this using the full 100 watts, only with no light?

Old 05-25-06, 07:20 PM
The bulb I have, on a circuit of other like bulbs, that are always left on at the entry to the building, is glowing faint orange from the electrodes it appears. So, is this using the full 100 watts, only with no light?
if you see faint ornage from electrodes which if the bulb go off that normal and it will not use any power during that peroid but there are some HID do have small starting electrode to start up at bottom of arc tube this is common on mercury vapour and some metal halide what we called probe start bulbs

the newer kind of metal halide and high pressure soidum vapour bulbs are pulse start they use very short high voltage duration just enough to get the arc jump across the arc tube to start it up.

most Hid are kinda sensive with voltage drop or surge or dip it will kick the arc off and have to wait few min to cool off before it will restart

but if keep going on and off every few minutes that mean the bulb is allready at end of life [ it is more noticable with HPS and some PSMH ]

but most hid when they get end of life they will dim some degress depending on what kind of HID it is the same way with flourscent lumiaires too

again i will speak here again there are some ballast do draw a bit of power when there is no light at all [ not all ballast do work the same way there is about 8 to 12 diffrent types of ballast on hid alone but just dont get into flourscent they have heck alot more numbers you just cant belive ]

Merci, Marc