Wire routing question

Old 05-24-06, 08:07 AM
Wire routing question

As part of our kitchen re-mod, I removed some over-cabinet soffits and now need to re-route a wire (NM 14-3G) that connects two 3-way wall switches providing control to a single overhead light.

For the switch to switch run, are there any issues regarding routing the wire through the floor between two copper water supply pipes?

The pipes feed a powder room sink and were run through a shared wall with the kitchen, up from the basement.

Once in the basement, from switch 1 I'll go through the joists then up through the floor / wall to switch 2----any tips you guys have on doing this would be appreciated, i.e. hole diameter, securing the wire, stuff to stay away from etc.

The switch to ceiling fixture run will be no problem since the ceiling area behind the soffit was not finished.

Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 08:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by WiFiGuy
are there any issues regarding routing the wire through the floor between two copper water supply pipes?
As long as you don't have to cram it in there or other such situation where the pipe could rub or crush the wire. Next to water pipes is just fine.

any tips you guys have on doing this would be appreciated, i.e. hole diameter, securing the wire, stuff to stay away from etc.
Use a 5/8" or 3/4" hole size -- keep the edge of the hole 1.25" from the face of the stud/joist. NM can run just about anywhere in a residence -- avoid anything that is excessively hot or could physically damage the wire. Secure the cable with cable staples that are rated for 14/3; it will say on the package.

Old 05-24-06, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up

Many thanks for taking time to respond to my questions. Re the pipes, there will be enough space around the wire where it won't rub or come into contact with anything.

I'll follow your instructions when running the wire through the basement joists. Thanks for the tip re the hole location and the joist edge.

I also will have to re-run some other wires that, due to removal of a soffit, are now not behind drywall. Whenever possible, I plan on re-running them just as we discussed in the first post.

Here's a question that your "joist edge" response just sparked: Can you notch joists so as to avoid having to re-run wires in order to get them behind drywall? Someone told they've seen the notch method used along with a metal plate over the notch opening.

My wires will be going along ceiling joists in our kitchen which will be covered up when the cabinets are hung.

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

Old 05-24-06, 01:23 PM
You can notch wall joists, but not cieling joists...

Most of the stress points are on the outside edges of the cieling joists, notching these will alter the structural capabilities of the cieling joists...

The center of the cieling joists are the place to drill through...

Old 05-24-06, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by WiFiGuy
Can you notch joists so as to avoid having to re-run wires in order to get them behind drywall? Someone told they've seen the notch method used along with a metal plate over the notch opening.
Notching with a metal plate is acceptable in terms of electrical code, but it reduces the structural integrity of the joist which almost certainly will violate building code. Circular holes near the center of the joist do not reduce strength significantly; notches reduce strength a lot.