Standby Generators: Brands? Advice? Warnings?

Old 05-24-06, 12:10 PM
Standby Generators: Brands? Advice? Warnings?

Hi guys.

Baton Rouge resident here. After Katrina and with the current hurricane season arriving next week I think I'm going to spring for a natural gas standby generator. Filling up my little gas powered portable generator 7 times a day got old REAL FAST.

What are the major brands of natural gas standby generators? I figure I'm going to want a 12-16kw system. I'm going to purchase from a local dealer/installer but I'm looking for a little impartial advice (I know, I know, no one is impartial ) before I start to get prices and information. Liquid cooled vs air cooled?

I tend to prefer quality of quantity. ie for the same money I'd rather have a quality, reliable 12kw system than a lesser reliable 16kw system. Bottom line I want something that is going to work when I need it. In the event I do need it serviced I imagine the service people will have their hands full with the rest of the entire city/state.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. We're holding our breath down here. I'm going to get real nervous every time I see one of those SOB's forming in the Atlantic.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 01:50 PM
Generator

I don't have a preference for brand names but at the Eaton
web site there is a caculator to determine the size you need.
Look at the bottom of the page.

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASAp...6&Sec=products

Old 05-24-06, 01:57 PM
i've sold around 20 generacs.

buy a Kohler

Old 05-24-06, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by flopshot

buy a Kohler
I was looking at Kohler but I don't know if they have a dealer/installer in my area. I need ot give them a call.

Just curious. Why do you sell Generacs if you prefer Kohler? Your customers demand Generac?

Old 05-24-06, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by flopshot

buy a Kohler
That's tooo funny

Old 05-24-06, 04:50 PM
I work on alot of gennys and i do sell few of them as well

The Genarac is ok to me but make sure you read the warranty and related items carefully [ this go the same with other name brands as well ]

the Kohler is good one

the Onan is also good one

there are few other as well but as i will say here you may have to look around a little to choice what you like the good feature etc.

for air cooled and liquid cooled engine the 15 KW is borderline between air cooled and liquid cooled engines

also the other factor is the speed of engine as well most generators above 15 KW useally are 1800 rpm but smaller units spin high as 3600 rpm so you may have to read some specs with this

the mantaice is pretty straght foward task at least once a week run the stand by unit for about 15 min with load on it [ this will help you when the genny do kick on ]

the load of genny is pretty picky on this so you may have to slect what you really need and what you don't need to be on genny circuit

and other thing is Make sure you have transfer switch or interlock kit many place will ask you for the permit for hook this up genrally the electricican will hook this up because it kinda almost out of the scoop of ave diy's the codes are pretty strict with this so please heed this waring serious

if more question please do ask us we will try to answer much we can

Merci, Marc

Old 05-25-06, 06:47 AM
i just don't like the way generac stands behind their products.
if you can buy from an authorized service dealer, have 'that' dealer install it, and have 'that' dealer maintain it, you might come out ok. but generac markets their product in big box stores almost as a DIY product and it's not.
i don't sell them anymore because the support end was just not worth the trouble. BTW, the liquid cooled units are much better than the air cooled. i'll be installing one of the last two we have at my employer's house and the other here at the store. at least the customer won't be able to complain much.