Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Could anything with the electrical wiring cause water heater to fail 3 times?

Old 05-24-06, 03:14 PM

My water heater has failed-leaked three times in the last 4 months. All covered under warranty however it costs me $100 for each heater and install. No one can give me a reason on why they fail so often. One time the heater wire burned off in the main panel which lead us to rewiring the whole house and insalling a new panel.The was just completed yesterday. Could electrical wiring be the cause for the water heater to spring a leak?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 03:42 PM
well that question remain there if you have hard water you will kill the heating element very fast

one way i do is install the stainless steel element they last little more longer but who know depending on how hard the water you have.

the other possiblty is you have pretty high pressure of water system but i cant really see it from here but if the plumming pipes are very clean and dont show any leak then sometime can have bad batch of water heater [ it dont happend often but it do ]

and also check the voltage of your place make sure it not way too high a voltage that will speed up burning out the element.

noramally most tank storage water heaters useally have 30 amp 240 volt circuits unless the spec say otherwise.

Merci, Marc

Old 05-24-06, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by inthedark
One time the heater wire burned off in the main panel
What brand was your old panel? (What size was the breaker?)

> Could electrical wiring be the cause for the water heater to spring a leak?

No. How many times did you get a leak in the heater itself?

Old 05-25-06, 10:50 AM
Are you on a well, or city water? If you are on city water, is there a check valve upstream of the water heater? In either of these cases a pressure expansion tank would be required. The ones I have seen look similar to a propane tank for a gas grill, but smaller and plumbed in series with the water heater supply.

When the water is heated - it expands. If the system is closed, the expansion could cause the heater to leak. Ask your installer if this is a possibility.

Old 05-25-06, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by rjanscha
If the system is closed, the expansion could cause the heater to leak.
Untrue. Expansion will cause the OTP valve to weep.

> Ask your installer if this is a possibility.

Get a better installer.

A weeping OTP valve doesn't warrant replacement of a new heater.

Old 05-25-06, 08:20 PM
Would the tank blowing off through the pressure valve cause damage to the liner through the sudden closure of the valve when stopping? Sort of hammer lock.

Old 05-25-06, 08:28 PM
nap
Can you tell where the leaks are? If so, are they in the same locality each time?

Have you had any electrical problems with the heater other than the burned wire you mentioned earlier? ANd how did the ater heater circuit wire burning cause you to not only replace the entire panel but rewie the entire house?

Old 05-25-06, 09:05 PM
To clarify we rewired the whole house,removed all the knob and tube, and installed a new main panel. It was an old 100 amp fuse panel.

There has been no other electrical problems with the heater.

The leaks have always been coming from the bottom.

Old 05-25-06, 09:18 PM
nap
My first thought was that the thermostat on the heater stuck and overheated the water causing the burned wire. This would cause a high pressure situation but the pressure relief valve should be releasing the over pressure.

Are you sure the leak is not water from the prv and you notice it on the floor?

I would be sure the leak is not where the heat element goes into the tank. Other than that, I think I would be looking at a different brand of water heater.

Enough is enough. Three strikes and your out and all that jazz.

Old 05-29-06, 07:30 AM
MAke sure the new wh gets installed with an expansion tank.