basement wiring

Old 05-24-06, 07:29 PM
basement wiring

I am going to do wiring for my basement, starting from the control panel, I have to run wires across the stud framed walls in the unfinished area of the basement before reaching the finished area. I don't know exactly the best way to do that, am I supposed to use conduits, or fasten running boards to the studs, or both. and if I should use conduits, what kind I should be using metallic or PVC. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 08:18 PM
I hate to say this but when I see a post like this the first thing that goes through my mind is that person should not be undertaking that job. It is obvious that you don't even have a basic understanding of wiring and I would feel uncomfortable giving advice to what could end up be an unsafe condition. If you are dedicated to doing the work I would suggest buying some books on basic wiring and doing some serious study. I truly mean no insult I just don't see how anyone could assist you to do a proper job with a couple of posts.

Old 05-24-06, 08:35 PM
thanks for your reply anyway, but I actually read not one book, may be four or five and unfortunately, I could not find any answer to my question. back to my question,I know that the usual way to run wires from the control panel is to run them to the ceiling then through or across the joists and then to the boxes. in my situation I have the main air duct right above the control panel, I mean I have no access to the joists above the control panel. so I have to run the wires on my stud framed walls, again these walls are poured concrete and the studs are stainless steel, called superior walls . so I can't make holes and run the wires through them. I hope you understand now where I am coming from.

Old 05-24-06, 08:53 PM
that is a pretty unusual system, pretty nice actually but yeah now I know what you mean. I would run BX using metal straps to run across the "studs". Definately arn't drilling through that very easily. You can find the BX cable and the straps at any hardware. You will need to predrill for the screw holes is all or use self tapping screws maybe.