Moving a Meter (or)?

Old 05-25-06, 08:06 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving a Meter (or)?

My electric meter is located on the back of my house. I want to lock my yard gate with a padlock 24/7 to keep the neighborhood kids out but that would also keep the meter reader from being able to read my meter.

Is a "Remote" meter reading device available for an electric meter that could be mounted on the side of the house. This way the meter reader woudn't have to go into the back yard to get the reading?

I have a similar device for my water meter; the water meter is in the basement which has a low voltage wire leading to a box outside where the meter reader takes the reading.

Hoping there is a similar unit for electric meters!
Thanks,
Phil

Old 05-25-06, 08:41 AM
R
I don't know where you live or who your power company is (you really should indicate your location in your profile), but where I live they now use remote readers.

Everybody had their meter replaced with a new one. Those whose meters were in the basement had them moved outside. The power company now reads meters by driving down the street. The meters transmit the reading wirelessly to the truck. This is becoming the standard.

Up until they installed these devices, the general practice was to allow you to read the meter. They would leave cards which you filled out with the reading and mailed back to them. If you failed to return the card, or returned with an obviously incorrect reading, they would estimate the meter reading.

They would do this for up to three months or so, but then would require that you provide access to the meter.

The ultimate answer, of course, rests with your power company. Call them and ask them. They have telephone numbers and customer support people for a reason.

Old 05-25-06, 05:28 PM
C
Rotating the meter

If your utility does not have a AMR (Automatic Meter Reading) program, there are devices that rotate the meter 90 degrees so that it can be read from the side yard, not entering fenced area. The meter department can get these from Ekstrom Industries or Marwell Inc. They should be familiar with both manufacturers. Good Luck!

Old 05-26-06, 07:34 AM
P
Okay, I contacted my electric company (DTE-Energy) and there is no automatic meter reading service in my area.
But they do have a service where I can register my account on thier website, read my own meter and submit the readings on-line, on specific days of every month. The only hitch is they must read the meter themselves one month out of the year. (I guess they don't really trust us)

So this will work for me as long as I know which month they plan to read my meter so I can unlock the gate for them.......
Thanks,
Phil

Old 05-26-06, 07:45 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In the "good old days" When most meters were in the house, some utilities would have a key to the house, given to them by the home owner, so they could read the meter while the owner was at work. Maybe you could set up such a deal for the gate padlock. I don't recall ever hearing of a problem with this arrangement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: