Please Help! Aluminum wiring problem.

Old 05-25-06, 02:00 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Aluminum wiring problem.

I have a water pump for my pond that has a cord with aluminum wiring, but does not have a plug. I have been going crazy trying to find one that is CO/ALR and three pronged. I've been to two Home Depots and four other electrical suppy places with no luck whatsoever. I've also searched for hours online.

Please, if someone knows where I can get one here in San Diego or by ordering, point me in the direction. You have no idea how grateful I would be.

Lindsey

Old 05-25-06, 02:06 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I don't know of any plug assemblies for flexible cords rated for CO/ALR. Why not just replace the entire cord with a new copper appliance cord?

Old 05-25-06, 02:16 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Are you sure the wire is AL and not tinned copper. Scrape the wire with a utility blade and see if the "aluminum" comes off, revealing copper underneath.

Where do you plug in your pond pump?

Old 05-25-06, 03:24 PM
L
Thanks for your help. Obviously you can tell I have no idea what I'm doing. I scraped at the wire and it is indeed just a coating. I had tried the pump with a regular plug and it wouldn't work so some guy at Home Depot told me it must be aluminum. Now I think it's probably just defective. Thanks a lot to both of you and hopefully I didn't make too much of a fool out of myself.

Lindsey

Old 05-25-06, 04:49 PM
R
Never get your advice from Home Depot, or any of the bog box stores. Take any advice you do get, from any source, with a grain of salt until you verify it somewhere.

The plug would not make a difference. If the wire was aluminum it would still work with an incorrect plug. It may not be safe, but it would work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: