My Home A/C is not cold....??

Old 05-25-06, 02:49 PM
My Home A/C is not cold....??

Can someone tell me what may be wrong? The other day it worked fine, then it shut off the circuit breaker. I turned the breaker back on but its not cold. The fan is working and everything, just not cold. This is for a house. Does house A/C uses freon like car does?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-06, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The other day it worked fine, then it shut off the circuit breaker.
The breaker tripped while the unit was running? You then reset the breaker, but there is no cold air now?

When you reset the breaker, did you switch it all the way off and then back on?

Originally Posted by integra123
The fan is working and everything, just not cold.
Is the compressor running? When you say fan, do you mean the blower or the exterior fan in the compressor unit?

This is for a house. Does house A/C uses freon like car does?
Yes, it uses a refrigerant chemical. It is usually not the same one that is used in car A/C, but it is similar. A leak in the compressor, coil, or lines can be the problem.

Old 05-25-06, 03:42 PM
sounds like something went wrong inside the unit and caused the breaker to trip. you need to get a hvac company to find out what happened.

yes they use frion.

Old 05-25-06, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a compressor issue, I think. Clue 1 is the breaker tripped. Clue 2 is the fact that integra said it is not blowing cold air, meaning the blower is working. If the blower is working, that means THAT did not trip out the breaker. But the compressor could have.

integra,

Go to your outside unit and listen if your compressor is running. You could touch it also, to see if it is warm or hot. If you do... do not touch any metal or the grass or anything with one of your hands. Then with your other hand, quickly touch the compressor housing with one finger to make sure it is not either giving a tingle nor is super hot.

IF the compressor mysteriously comes on for a bit, and you have cold air again, or cooler air, even if just for a while, your compressor could be shutting itself off on thermal overload. Then when it cools down, it could come back on again. The ultimate cause cold be in the compresor itself or a loss of refrigerant.