Air Conditioner uses lots of AMPS

Old 05-26-06, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioner uses lots of AMPS

A newbe here. I posted a question about rerouting a wire that was
running thru the studs. (with your help i did it, an everything works). Now my new question, in the same room i got a window unit, that says it uses 7.9 amps, i have a lot of stuff in that room
a computer,printer,tv,vcr,lights, ceiling fan... The circuit is 15 amps i have a 15 amp direct outlet in the bedroom across the hall,
nothing uses that outlet, if i trip the circuit breaker by useing to much juice in my room, can i make the window plug in cable longer
and use the direct outlet in the other room, or use an extension cord, without costing an arm an a leg.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-06, 01:08 PM
In theory yes, but in practice no. An extension cord that long would be very expensive, as wuold making the cable longer.

Extension cords are for TEMPORARY use, not permanent installations.

The poroper solution is to run a new circuit to the room. While you are at it, run two new circuits. One for the AC, one for the computer system.

Old 05-26-06, 01:57 PM
I had an inlaw who is an electrican, put in direct outlets in 2 bedrooms, but not where the window unit will be. Can i take the cord off the direct outlet in the other room, and put an outlet in my room with that cord on it. That way i would have a direct outlet for the air
conditioner. In the breaker box in the basement thare are 2, 15 AMP breakers for the direct outlets, but 1 cord comeing out of the box, i think they may be sandwiched together?. That part i don't get
Thanks
Wisconsin Wally

Old 05-26-06, 02:35 PM
Let you know the terms of " cord " is very loosely used word for most electricians here but we called " cable " or "wire " or " romax "

anyway

In the breaker box in the basement thare are 2, 15 AMP breakers for the direct outlets, but 1 cord comeing out of the box, i think they may be sandwiched together?.
the word cord is actally called cable or romax wire see above but here is the mind twister here we called multiwire branch circuit which it mean have two hot legs [ hot lines] with common netrual.

this is kinda common pratice but only one dangerous rule we have to heed on multicircuit wires is make sure dont untied the netrual wire at all [ most repectcles { outlets } ] will useally have pigtail to avoid this other wise you get zonked from this set up.

I did see it alot just about almost everywhere in Home , commercal and industrail they do this pratice anyway let get back to the point here.

i really suggest to run a new circuit for window A/C so this way it will not interfernce with computer etc .

if need more question please ask us we will try to guide this starght here

just don't do anything what you feel it will be over your head for safety sake here.

Merci, Marc

Old 05-26-06, 03:07 PM
There is 1 cable comeing out of the breaker box in the basement, there are 2 15 amp breakers in the box, but 1 cable comes out for
power for 2 outlets. I want to take off the black wire (hot) and the white (neutral) and the ground wire, and run them in my room
for a outlet for the A.C. There is only 1 place in the breaker box for a 15 amp breaker (thens it's full). So i would rather use whats already there, and never used.
Wisconsin
Wally

Old 05-26-06, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
Is there a way to replace the one circuit so that it is where you could use it for the air conditioner?

Your families safety is too important to risk using an extension cord.