Lost power to several outlets

Old 05-27-06, 08:26 AM
sashka75
Visiting Guest
Lost power to several outlets

Hey-

My sister decided to plug in a new lamp and it killed power to all outlets in one room. I reset the circuit breaker to no avail. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-06, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have an open connection. By that I mean a wire has become disconnected. it could be either the hot wire (usually black) and the neutral wire (white). Since it occurred when pugging in a lamp, the likely place for the bad connection is the receptacle where the lamp was plugged in.

With the power off, remove the cover plate and the screw holding the receptacle in place. Then very carefully pull the receptacle away from the wall without disconnecting any wires. You will probably find that black wires are connected to the brass screws, or pushed into back stab connectors on the brass screw side of the rear of the receptacle, and that and white wires are connected to the silver screw side.

Make sure that these wires are tightly connected. I think you will find one wire is loose. If the back stabs are used, I suggest that you undo those connections and use the screw terminals instead.

It is possible that you may also find a wire nut (or two) and some wires connected to it. One of those wires could have become disconnected. If this is the case then you will need to remake the wire nut connection. It is best to do this with a brand new wire nut.

You might find that the problem is at another receptacle on the circuit. If you find nothing wrong at this receptacle then you need to check every other receptacle on the circuit, both the working ones and the non-working ones.

Before you start, you might want to use a plug in type tester. The results you get from using this type of tester will tell you whether the open (disconnected) wire is a hot wire or a neutral wire.

If you have any questions about the wires you find, then post back here with what you have and we can sort it out. Do not blindly disconnect wires and try to reconnect them. You may even want to make notes and draw (or take) pictures of what you have if you in any way have something unusual.

Old 06-01-06, 02:46 PM
sashka75
Visiting Guest
update

Ok. I picked up a multimeter and I am getting 90volts out of nonworking receptacles, while I get 120ish on everything else in the house. What can I do?

Old 06-01-06, 04:31 PM
You can reread my original post, or I can cut and paste it here and you can read it. It answers your question.

Old 06-02-06, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That happend at our house we had no power to the back kichen wall. Called an Electriction and he pulled one of the outlets out and found a wire had come undone reconnected the wire and we had power. But it did not last so he came back out a replaced the outlet.