120 from 220 circuit

Old 05-27-06, 08:19 PM
120 from 220 circuit

I had a 220v outlet installed outside for a well pump. It is a single phase circuit. Direct burial cable was used (8-2). Can I "tap" this and add a 120v outlet with ground?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-06, 08:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, since you don't have a neutral, you can't tap onto it. If it was 8-3 wg, you could install a breaker box and separate 120 volts from it, but in your case (and mine) you can't.

Old 05-27-06, 08:28 PM
I had a 220v outlet installed outside for a well pump. It is a single phase circuit. Direct burial cable was used (8-2). Can I "tap" this and add a 120v outlet with ground?
this kind of wire you have the answer is no you cant do this set up because you only have two hot legs and grounding wire only and there is no netural wire there but if you have 8-3 then you can do that but other wise no dont think about it for safety sake.

Merci , Marc

Old 05-27-06, 08:59 PM
I just checked the left over wire. It has 2 large conductors (8) and a smaller one. I guess the smaller one is a ground?

So, I should have gotten the electrician to run an extra wire in case I needed to do this in the future? This work was completed last week. I sure wish the eletrician would have asked if there was a possibility that I would want 110 capability. I really don't need it now but would like to have the capability.

Does the neutral have to be 8 gauge also?

Old 05-27-06, 11:45 PM
yes - the neutral wire should be the same gauge.

Your situation underscores the benefit of using conduit when permitted by code for underground installations. If you ever need to, you can replace or add wire if necessary (assuming conduit is properly sized).

You can always run a separate UF circuit for 110 if the trench for the 220 line hasn't been back-filled yet.

Best wishes.

Old 05-28-06, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dontcha hate it when people don't think ahead. The electrician, or well installer could have installed 8-3 wg just as easily, and at a miminal extra cost than 8-2, and provided an outlet for heat tape, light bulb, hair dryer (best way to thaw a pitot tube), etc. But Noooo!

Old 05-28-06, 04:52 AM
Trench is filled in and everything is covered with sod.