Robokleen automatic pool cleaner - transformer problem

Old 05-28-06, 05:49 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Robokleen automatic pool cleaner - transformer problem

Let me just get to the point first, then post the rest of the background: Is there a good place (preferably where I can go locally to Royal Oak or Troy, MI) I can get a transformer that will output 27.5V AC at 6 amps?

I'm going to cross post this in the pool forum and the electrical forum since it's an electrical problem with a piece of pool equipment, and I'm hoping someone might be able to help find an answer I can try to make use of tommorrow. At this point, I have my pool chemicals balanced, but I really need to get the leaves at the bottom of the pool removed and vacuuming to waste is not the answer (can't see well enough, doesn't work well enough, too slow with having to clean out baskets after small amount of progress and it causes flooding issues with the yard)

Anyway, 2 years ago I got a Robokleen automatic pool cleaner. It worked very well, but with about a month left in the pool season, it had some sort of drive gear issue. I called the people that make the thing, they said it was a known issue and they'd send a new unit to replace mine under warranty, it would have the design improvement for the next year. I get the new pool cleaner, which works fine, but after less than a month, it stopped functioning. I called Robokleen, and they would not do anything because it was out of warranty, which was effective the date of purchase. So, I bought a pool cleaner that opperates off of return water from the filter.

For background, the Robokleen pool cleaner operates a fan to circulate water up from the bottom of the unit through a filter bag to capture leaves and debris, and it operates wheels to drive it forward and back to cover the bottom of your pool. It gets power through a cord which connects to a transformer. It has an internal computer that changes direction based on either a timer or if it senses that the unit is not moving (it monitors wheel speed of the non-driven wheel). It also shuts down after 3 hours of operation until it is turned off and turned back on.

Anyway, I'm having a particularly difficult openning, and I need something that can pick up a lot of leaves. The cleaner powered by return water pressure requires emptying after not much progress, and because it is operated by water pressure, it tends to stir up debris, which in turn circulates to either the basket or the sand filter, where it creates blockages that reduce water pressure. I'm also trying to rake leaves out, which seems the best method available so far, but after I get leaves stirred up, I can't see what I'm doing any more and I can't find large amounts of leaves...

I'd like to get the Robo-kleen unit working, even if not for the openning cleaning, but for the season. When it worked, it was the best method for keeping the pool clean I've tried.

I was looking at the unit and noticed a warning to use the same rated fuse... So I think "Gee, why didn't they just tell me to check the fuse?" I checked, and the fuse was blown. After replacing the fuse, I got a few minutes of operation, then nothing. I checked transformer output with a voltmeter and found nothing.

So, I need a replacement transformer, and according to the sticker, this one outputs 27.5V at 6A from an input of 115V at 60Hz.

Old 06-11-06, 12:47 PM
P
Question robokleen transformer

willk, did you find another transformer for your robokleen? could you tell me how to get to the fuse? We have had ours for 8 months and now it does not work. thanks, pat

Old 06-11-06, 02:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does the transformer output AC directly to the motors or does it provide DC to the motors? The motors may say if they are AC or DC. If DC two lead acid 12 volt batteries (car, marine, lawn tractor, etc.) in series should supply about 26V. That would be close enough for DC motors.

AC control circuits often use 24 Volt transformers that come in a variety of amp ratings and may be close enough in voltage to power the motors.

While the batteries certainly won't fit and a control transformer might not you may be able to devise a water proof case to supply power to the original unit. I'd be worried though about shock hazard when improvising so this is not a recommendation only a something to consider.

Old 06-13-06, 08:21 PM
Transformers are typically very robust components. I have only seen them fail rarely, and then only because a downstream component failed and shorted the secondary. Why do you think that the transformer has failed. Did you check the fuse a second time to see if you blew it again? Is the fuse on the primary side or the secondary side of the transformer? If it is on the secondary, does the primary still have voltage?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: