ceiling fixture

Old 05-28-06, 08:46 PM
ceiling fixture

Today I attempted to install a new ceiling fixture. The instructions tell me how to wire it, but the only wires in the fixture are a strand of copper grounding wire and 1 black ribbed wire. The house was built in 1956 and the fixture I removed had two wires, both with a beige covering.

The instructions for the fixture refer to two wires plus the ground. Am I missing something, or is the fixture missing something?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-06, 10:23 PM
ddr
You seem to have a defective fixture. A basic single light (no fan or extra outlets) should have a black hot, white neutral and green or bare copper ground. (Some older fixtures may have the same color wires with the rib identifying it as hot or neutral but I haven't seen those in a long time; even so, there should still be two insulated wires.)

Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-06, 04:22 AM
AS ddr stated, the fixture is missing a neutral wire. Return it as defective.

The fact the the ceiling is missing a ground wire is okay for a house built in 1956. In that year they did not use grounds for many (most) of the circuits in a house.

When you get a proper fixture, connect the fixture hot wire to the ceiling black wire, and the fixture white wire to the ceiling white wire. The ground on the fixture gets connected to the metal box.

You may have a hard time figuring out which wire is the ceiling black and which is white. You may need to use a two wire tester and test for the hot wire while connected to a good ground source, such as a metal water pipe.