3-speed fan control, GFCI circuit ?

Old 05-29-06, 05:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-speed fan control, GFCI circuit ?

The instructions for the Lutron Fan-Speed Control SFSQ-F say not to install in a circuit with a GFCI breaker/receptacle. I just installed a fan (no light) outdoors on a GFCI circuit and would like to use a 3-speed fan control. Is anyone aware of a control that will work in this situation?

Old 05-29-06, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Nope. GFCI's don't like dimmers. If you can locate the wire rising to the fan control from the GFCI, you can relocate the wire from the "load" side to the "line" side, and not have GFCI protection to the fan, but maintain protection at the receptacle and downline. Where is the fan located? In the house, on the porch, in a gazebo, etc.?

Old 05-29-06, 07:40 AM
B
Thanks for answering. The fan is on a porch and the entire circuit is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker. Would a remote speed control work -- the kind you install on the fan?

Old 05-29-06, 09:56 AM
A
Originally Posted by branzell
the entire circuit is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker. Would a remote speed control work -- the kind you install on the fan?
If the circuit is configured correctly, you could possibly replace the GFCI breaker with a regular breaker and instead use GFCI receptacles where required.

Remote speed control: I don't know but I would expect the same issue.

Old 05-30-06, 07:55 AM
B
I looked up the installation instructions for a remote fan speed control and the way it's to be hooked up, it does look like I'll have the same issue. So, it appears I've got 2 choices --

1. change the breaker from GFCI and install a couple of GFCI receptacles (one operated by a 3-way switch and one as the first in a string of 5 receptacles), or

2. change the fan control to a standard on/off switch and use the pull chain for speed control

Which would you choose?

Andrea

Old 05-30-06, 08:56 AM
A
Originally Posted by branzell

Which would you choose?
The pull chain issue at my house is that if my wife can reach it, it's hanging in my face. Plus the chains just don't look good.

I'd replace the breaker AFTER verifying that you can wire everything to code with GFCI receps. That is, put in and test all the GFCI receps. Then replace the breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: