Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What to do with a light switch when removing the wall it is in

Old 05-29-06, 07:33 AM

I am in the process of remodeling a kitchen and took out a wall that had separated the kitchen from the dining room. That particular wall has the light switch for the dining room located on it. With the wall torn out, the wiring for that switch hangs down ( not up from the basement) from the ceiling above, which runs "through" the joists across the kitchen and family room (cathedral ceiling) and into the garage where my panel is located. My question is....what would be the easiest way to relocate that wall switch (since that wall will be no more) to another wall. A simple running of new wire from the circuit panel would be almost impossible without tearing down the entire kitchen ceiling to some degree. And, yes, I know "burying a box" isn't exactly code.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-06, 07:38 AM
How many of what size wires are hanging? Where would you like to have the switch?

You cannot burry a junction box, but I have in the past used a flat cover and painted a texture on it similar to the ceiling, making it more difficult to see.

Old 05-29-06, 08:14 AM
There are two wires 14/2 coming to ( and from ) that light switch. I am pretty sure that the particular circuit that the light is on also has a couple more of the first floor ceiling lights on it as well.
As for the prospect of just putting a blank plate on the box if I keep it on the ceiling. That thought did cross my mind. However, that would not look the best since it would end up being right over top of a breakfast seating area, which ends up being in the middle of the what will be the expanded kitchen.
I just wasn't sure if there was some way that it could easily be relocated to one of the adjorning walls without a major tear out of the ceiling.

Old 05-29-06, 12:59 PM
Is there enough wire hanging down so that you could fish it from its present drop location to a better spot for a j-box? If that's the case then you can just locate a box in the "better" spot and run new wire from there to a box at your new switch location.

You say you have two 14-2 "wires" but I suspect you mean "cables". That is, a 14-2 line side "feed" from the panel and a 14-2 load side going to the fixture. The white wire is wirenutted through and the black wire is switched. Is that correct? If so, when you add wire to get to your new switch box, you can just run one 14-2 to your switch as a switch loop, instead of running the line side all the way to the new switch box.

However, splicing both cables through to the new switch box would be OK and a good idea if you are considering any fancy X10-type switches or whatever.

Old 05-30-06, 12:59 PM
With the wires that are hanging down ( and yes, it is two 14-2 'cables' and not just two 'wires') it isn't enough to run to any of the other existing walls. The switch was practically in the middle of the wall that I removed, and the cables that are hanging down are only four feet in length. The distance to either existing wall is practically 7 feet in either direction.

Old 05-30-06, 01:51 PM
OK, well so much for that.

How are you lighting the 'breakfast seating area'?

Do you have enough cable to put in an extra deep fan support box centered over the table or counter in the breakfast seating area?

Even if you don't want a ceiling fixture in the breakfast area you can just put a round decorative cover over the box and it would look better than a square or rectangular j-box cover.

Then you could run a 14-3 or a couple of 14-2s from the new fan box to a new (2-gang) switch box and then have a switched wire available for both a prospective new fixture and the existing dining fixture.

Old 05-31-06, 08:32 AM
Wow...Great thought there ! Setting it up like that didn't even cross my mind. There was a thought for adding lighting to above the breakfast area, so that may just take care of the "what to do with the hanging wires" issue.
Thanks for the idea ! I knew I liked this site for a reason !