Feeding outlets from light...

Old 05-29-06, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Feeding outlets from light...

Hi all, I'm rewiring 2 bedrooms in my house and I know that typically, outlets are wired in sequence, with holes drilled through the wall studs. I would like to avoid drilling holes through the studs (they are 4.5" rough studs in an old house) whenever possible. I'm wondering if it is acceptable to run wires to the outlets from the light box in the ceiling. I'd like to feed the light from the switch, and then feed 4 outlets from the light. I'm in Canada and will be using 14-2 wire and I'm just wondering if this will create a box fill problem? Would I need a deeper light box than the standard size?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-06, 12:52 PM
I am not familiar with Canadian Codes, and how they compute box fill, or in what the CEC requires for receptacle spacing.

In the US you would have to be careful of box fill with four 14-2 cables and one 14-3 cable, which is what you will need unless you want the receptacles to be switched along with the lights. However, a light box in the ceiling has no device to count, so you only have wires to worry about.

Unless the bedrooms were small and/or didn't have a closet, you might need more than four receptacles to meet code requirements for receptacle spacing. Even if you do meet code with four receptacles, is that enough?

Instead of parallel feeding from the light box in the center, why not daisy chain in the traditional manner, except feed down the wall to the first receptacle. then up into the attic, over and down to the second receptacle, and so on.

Old 05-29-06, 05:51 PM
Great idea, I never thought of looping back up into the attic, I've got the walls down to the studs so this should be relatively easy to do. Many thanks racraft!