Air Conditioning: few circuits; few outlets

Old 05-30-06, 08:47 AM
Air Conditioning: few circuits; few outlets

I am a complete novice when it comes to electrical work. I'm renting an old house with old wiring. There's few outlets and few circuits. I'm concerned with putting in a window AC unit because it may be a long run to an outlet, and with that running, I may not be able to have anything else on.
What I'm wondering is 1) can I use an extension cord for the AC unit? and 2) If I use a surge protector, can I prevent the AC unit from blowing out everything else?
It's not my house, so doing actual rewiring is not an option. I'm basically looking for any way around that.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-06, 09:06 AM
1. No.

2. I don't know what you mean by "blowing out everything else."

Your only solution is to have new circuits run. You may be able to split the cost with your landlord, or he may make you pay the entire bill.

Old 05-30-06, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the help. That's what I expected.
Sorry for the poor terminology. What I meant by "blowing everything else out", I meant that if I plug the AC unit in, will I be able to use anything else in the room at the same time. Without knowing the specific electrical setup, I would guess this is hard to answer.

Old 05-30-06, 09:32 AM
If you exceed the rating of the circuit, which is most likely 15 amps, you will trip the breaker or blow the fuse. What it will take to accomplish this is unknown.

What you need to know is what loads you already have on this circuit. You should already know where this circuit runs. What lights are on this circuit, and what do you have plugged in to the receptacles on the circuit?

Depending on what you need to plug in and where the circuit runs, you may be able to re-arrange your loads to other circuits, or you may end up where you need to have the air conditioning off to run your hair dryer, for example.