GFCI Question

Old 05-31-06, 06:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Question

I am starting up my pool for the season and when I hooked everything up and turned on the pump it popped the GFCI breaker in the basement. I replaced the pump as it was old and I suspectd that was the probelm. The new one does the same thing. When I turn off the pump and reset the breaker it stays on. As soon as I turn on the pump the breaker trips. How can I test to see if it's the breaker or is there some underground wiring problem. If it was a wire problem would the breaker not trip as soon as turned on??
The pool has been there 15 years. The ground wire has a splice to make it a little longer. Splice appears to be good shape.
Thanks much.
Don't want to have to dig up my backyard.

Old 05-31-06, 07:19 PM
Can you describe in more detail about the specifics of your installation?

I would recommend turning the power off, and testing for continuity among conductors, from neutral to ground, etc. See if there is a connection between neutral and ground on any of the devices controlled by the GFI.

A word of caution, be very careful when working with the wiring of a pool. It is very easy to make a fatal mistake with a pool.

Old 05-31-06, 10:15 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably not the breaker. What is the device used to turn the pump on ( switch, time clock..etc.)? Where is the location of said device? How does the enclosure of this device appear to be?
Is it old and deteriated? is it metal or plastic? Was everything OK last season? It may have just been a harsh winter and these items have to be cleaned up.

As opposed to re-wireing your system.

SPLICED GROUND!!? Do you meen the bond? # 12 or a # 8 peice of solid copper?
If a bond wire (#8), make a VERY GOOD mechanical connection (split nut connector(burndy)) NOT just a wire nut!!!

Old 06-02-06, 10:38 AM
C
Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. I posted a detailed message yesterday of all the details that I didn't want to bore you with initially to slant your diagnosis. I don't see it, don't know where it went , but without going thru it all over again, here's where I am now. I tested the continuity of the neutral. Seemed OK. I wanted to test the power wire to ensure no break and fastened the black wire to the neutral position and tested. Again, looked OK.
Don't know what I'm reading but it came out the same reading as the neutral.
Then I was playing with the voltmeter and tried to measure the power wire when it's not connected to anything on either end. The needle barely moved and went to the 100 on the X1K scale. I tried the same thing with the neutral wire and the needle jumped to the other end of the scale and settled back down to about 4 on the 1k scale. Does this mean the neutral wire is grounded somewhere??
It wasn't connected to anything on either end.

Old 06-04-06, 05:53 PM
C
Problem solved. I will explain details tomorrow.

Old 06-05-06, 01:23 PM
C
Solution

After doing what you guys recommended and replacing some questionable parts that would have been replaced anyway, I suspected from the meter readings that something was wrong with the neutral leg of the underground cable from the house to the pool. I ran a temporary cable from the breaker to the pool (across the lawn). I hooked it up and it didn't work. Changed out the breaker. Worked. Changed to the buried cable with everything else the same, it didn't work.
I knew a contractor cut the cable the just over a year ago. He supposedly repaired it with a watertight repair kit. NOT.......It did work last summer.
I dug up the repair, the splice box was full of water. Cleaned it up dried it out and now the neutral tests the same reading as the power side. Almost infinity. Hooked it back up to the pool and voila, power.
I purchased an approved underground repair kit. Just waiting for the grass to grow now.
Thanks guys for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: