Challenger breakers hard to find


Old 05-31-06, 07:09 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 46
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Challenger breakers hard to find

Are Challenger breakers still being made or still floating around out there???

No large distributors seem to be carrying them in Central Ohio.

When looking for a compatable breaker what do I look for type? As in type C or K?
Old 05-31-06, 11:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,112
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many, and what size do you want?....

Most ITE...GE.... And Murrey should work. (stab ins only)0

Check the ratings on your current panel..(on the door) IE: 10,000..20,000
and find a suitable breaker with this rating.
Old 06-01-06, 10:55 AM
itsunclebill's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO area
Posts: 221
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Challenger product line was purchased by Eaton/Cutler Hammer. Their web site has a search function that will allow you to enter "Challenger" and locate documents that list acceptable (as in legal), if any, breakers for use in the panel, as well as letters from the CH engineering staff informing electrical inspectors of the acceptable use of Eaton/Cutler Hammer breakers in these panels.

Many of the panels available today will accept breakers made by other manufacturers, but only listed or classified breakers are UL certified to work in other brands of panels unless you have an exixting manufacturer supporting one of the orphan brands through documentation.

While "will fit" breakers will undoubably work short term, there may be interruption rating issues and compatability issues with the buss material. In the event of a damage (fire) claim related to electrical service equipment failure, breakers OK'd by the manufacturer to be in the panel is a point in your favor.
Old 06-01-06, 01:47 PM
JoggingGuy's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 19
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recently made some changes in my breaker panel at home. It has a Challenger breaker panel using C style breakers. The Challenger product line was purchased by Cutler Hammer (Eaton).

My research showed that the Cutler Hammer BR series breakers are direct, approved replacements for the C series. There is a document on the Eaton web site that validates the UL listing and the use in Challenger and other panels.

Both Lowes and Home Depot carry the BR series. The breakers even have both BR and C series part numbers printed on them, i.e. BR2100/C2100.
Old 11-13-14, 04:00 PM
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Epic thread revival...

So I have a challenger panel SB20(20-40)CT to be exact.
My understnading via the Eaton the C breaker is cross referanced to a BR now.

Does anyone know if I can use BR Double pole as well? I need a 50 amp 240
BR250 seems like an option?

Now here is where it gets crazy. Eaton says I can use a a few different brands as well... would this be legit?

Says Siemens GE Square D HOMELINE are option for the BR line.
I have a homeline breaker and I want to make sure I'm not creating a hazard.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-13-14, 07:16 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,784
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
Does anyone know if I can use BR Double pole as well? I need a 50 amp 240
BR250 seems like an option?
Yes, use the Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR250 breaker, it is the correct U.L. Listed replacement. Just because a breaker fits doesn't mean it is right. I can assure you a Square D Homeline is not an approved breaker for a Challenger panel.
Old 11-13-14, 07:32 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,247
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Challenger breakers should be available from obsolete breaker dealers also.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: