Laundry Room

Old 06-01-06, 08:53 AM
Laundry Room

Right now there is a regular outlet in my laundry room, but I am painting and will be replacing this outlet. It has the washer and dryer plugged into it. There is a utility sink about 1-2 feet away. Should (or am I required) to use a GFCI?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-06, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Technically no, because this receptacle is for the dedicated use of the washer and dryer; hence no "general purpose" use. However, it is a good idea to install the GFCI receptacle for a bit of added safety. For only $12, why not?

Old 06-01-06, 08:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would do it to be safe because is water gets into the outlet . I don't know the codes where your at but here in warren Mi Our landlord was required to replace all outlets near water with GFIC outlets. Like the outlet just a foot from the bathroom sink and the outlet just over the laundry tub and the outlet about 2 feet form the kitchen sink.

Old 06-02-06, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Technically no, because this receptacle is for the dedicated use of the washer and dryer; hence no "general purpose" use.

The GFCI requirements differ for different areas. Some areas have exceptions for certain types of equipment other areas do not. A laundry area with a sink requires all receptacles within 6 of the sink to have GFCI protection, there are no exceptions.