New basement outlet

Old 06-01-06, 08:29 AM
New basement outlet

A friend of mine just purchased a house and he needs to add an outlet in the basement. There is an overhead light fixture and he wants to splice into the box and run the outlet from there.
It will be just one receptacle. Can he use # 14 wire? Is it o.k. to run the line from the light?
Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-06, 08:35 AM
if this circuit is on 15 amp yes you can use the #14 romax wire but before you get that far .

is the light is pull chain type or controlled by switch ??

if pull chain it pretty easy to do it but if this basement is all empty no perment walls like rooms then you have to put a gfci on that repectaile

if wall controlled switch this will get more trickier you have to look at the wires if 14-2 romax you are out of luck but if 14-3 romax wires you might be lucky depending on how it connected

please post it back we can help ya

Merci , Marc

Old 06-01-06, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the quick response.
The light is pull chain. He said there is a wire coming into the light fixture box and a wire going out. My guess is they are just running a line to other lights.
I will see if he can figure out the breaker to make sure it is 15A, but he did say the wiring to the light is # 14. If up to code, the breaker would have to be 15A with # 14 wire, right?

He was just concerned because he had read that outlets should be # 12 wire.

Old 06-01-06, 09:03 AM
The bigger question is, what does he want to do with this receptacle? If the circuit is already moderately or heavily loaded, then adding a receptacle is not a good idea, especially if the receptacle will be used for a fairly decent load.

Also, if there are certain loads on the circuit then it may not be allowed to add a receptacle.

Old 06-01-06, 09:07 AM
really yes the 14 gauage wire is only good for 15 amps

but if you have alot of open area why not just run new circuit instead of tieing to the light ??

I think it will be more safer this way in case if breaker trip you dont have to walk around with dark basement

that way you can add a few new repecticles in basement instead of one it will be alot more better instead running bunch of extison cords

many repectiles circuits can be either 15 or 20 amp but main thing is the wire size if 12 gauge size you can run 20 amp breaker. as i say before check it ahead with your plans

Merci , Marc

P.S. if run for sump pump or some kind of pretty good power usage devices better off just run it own circuits the code will highlight this and local code also