Electric run in work shop

Old 06-02-06, 07:47 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Electric run in work shop

I plan on installing electric in my workshop. Currently I intend to run the line across the top sill plate of the studs and have drop down lines to my outlet boxes. I assume that I will need a junction box at the top of each drop down line to tie the wires together for the drop down as well as the line that will run to the next junction box. Wire will be in flexible conduit.

When running the conduit/wire cross the top of the plate, how do I get around the trusses that are in the way (over/under/ through)? Walls and ceiling will not be finished.

DWC

Old 06-02-06, 08:27 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You don't need J boxes for each receptacle. Just run the cable down to the outlet box and back up to above the plate. I don't know how your trusses are set up, but you can probably just drill holes for the cable.
Another option would be to just drill the studs and run the cable from outlet box to outlet box. Since your walls will be unfinished, your local code may require that the cable be protected.

Old 06-02-06, 08:43 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I agree with what Wayne said. I am about to do the same in my basement workshop. Do run conduit from the outlets to the sill. It's code.

Old 06-02-06, 10:18 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The degree of protection and the interpretation of "exposed" varies depending on the area and probably on the inspector. Best to call your building official and find out what they are looking for.

Old 06-02-06, 12:34 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the rapid replies.

Local officials require that the wire be protected (conduit) if no drywall/paneling is installed on the studs. Therefore, all my wire will be in flexible conduit.

Regarding drilling the studs and running from box to box, I'm trying to avoid that so I can use the space between the studs as storage (2" by 6" framing).

I'll check to see if it is permissable to drill through trusses. I guess another solution would be to mount the J box to the bottom of the top plate and drop down a line to the receptical and drill through the studs at the top and run the conduit over to the next J box. What do you think?

DWC

Last edited by dwcurry; 06-02-06 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 02:34 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dwcurry
Local officials require that the wire be protected (conduit) if no drywall/paneling is installed on the studs. Therefore, all my wire will be in flexible conduit.
Flexible conduit is technically not listed for protection; check with your inspector to make sure it's acceptable in your situation. EMT conduit or armored cable (AC) might be required. AC is probably cheaper than buying flexible conduit + fittings + individual conductors.

Flexible Metal Conduit (FMC)
348.12 Uses Not Permitted
(7) Where subject to physical damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: