Sub Panel Location

Old 06-02-06, 01:00 PM
Question Sub Panel Location

Installing a sub panel in my workshop and have a question regarding location. I would like to install it in the front wall which contains a Garage Door. I have 4 feet between the garage door and the side wall. I can't use the first 16" next to the side wall, but can put it between two studs located 16" and 32" from the side wall. This means that the panel will be 16" from the Garage door (at its closest point). Is this acceptable?

DWC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 01:50 PM
Would it be exposed to weather (driving rain) if the garage door is left open?

Old 06-02-06, 01:52 PM
You need 30 inches side to side in front of the panel. The panel can be centered in that 30 inches, or on either side or anywhere in between. Additionally you need 36 inches out.

Another way to think about it is to put a box 30 inches wide, 36 inches deep directly in front of the panel.

Old 06-02-06, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your description of the location sounds okay. You need 30" clearance side-to-side and 36" clearance out from the panel. The panel can be located anywhere within the 30" side-to-side clearance. If you can set a refrigerator box in front of the proposed location, it is acceptable.

Old 06-02-06, 06:57 PM
No exposure to driving rain. Actually have 48" side to side and will have at least 3' in front.

Thanks for the response.

DWC