Panel Problem

Old 06-02-06, 04:09 PM
Panel Problem

Added a panel to my garage. Now it seems that the right half of my bussing on the main panel is not working. If I alternate my breakers they work. Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 04:24 PM
nap
Yes I do but first tell us, how many wires did you connect and to what in the new panel?

What are they connected to on the feed end?

Old 06-02-06, 04:25 PM
Two possibilities come immediately to mind. One is that the main breaker has failed on one leg. I have seen this before. On that occassion, the failure was caused by something the homeowner did that also shorted and tripped another breaker at the same time. Replacing the main breaker is the fix. You can usually test if you have access to some energized part of the wires or feed bars to the main breaker. If they are both hot, while the busses fed from the breaker are not both hot, the breaker is the problem.

If the wires or bars that feed the breaker are not both hot, then you need to call the power company.

EDIT: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS TEST YOURSELF UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Old 06-02-06, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys. After my intial post I did check and found out I was not getting power to one side. Went to my main panel and did find I was not getting power from one side of my breaker there. We did have that breaker kick out from a bad breaker we had in new panel. Beleive a new breaker is in order.