Plugs won't work in bathroom

Old 06-02-06, 05:16 PM
Plugs won't work in bathroom

In our new house we just bought, the plugs in our two upstairs bathrooms don't work. I tried the replace them with the new certified ones with the test/reset buttons and they still don't work. There are two sets of 14/2 wires coming into the boxes and seem to be connected fine. I checked the fuse box and it is fine. All the lights/fans work, just not the plugs. And all the lights/plugs outside the bathrooms work. Would anyone know why these plugs in the bathroom aren't working? Could it be something to do with them using older non certified plugs and maybe had to disconnect them?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 05:19 PM
You likely have a GFCI receptacle somewhere that feeds these receptacles from further up the circuit. This is the type of receptacle with two buttons on it and wording that says to test it every month. Push the reset button when you find it. Let us know if it resets or if you do not have/can't find a GFCI receptacle.

Last edited by MAC702; 06-02-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 05:30 PM
Oh great point. They reno'd the bathroom in the basement which is new the fuse panel and I think they have one of these in there. Will check it out.

Old 06-02-06, 05:37 PM
There is a GFCI plug in both the basement bathroom and the main floor bathroom. i pressed reset on them both, the one in the main floor made a click, but the ones plugs upstairs still don't work. Do I have to replace them with GFCI plugs, then retry? I could it be something else?

Old 06-02-06, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Snaffoo
There is a GFCI plug in both the basement bathroom and the main floor bathroom. i pressed reset on them both, the one in the main floor made a click, but the ones plugs upstairs still don't work. Do I have to replace them with GFCI plugs, then retry? I could it be something else?
If a reset clicked and stayed locked in, when it previously was out, then SOMETHING (even if just itself) works when previously it hadn't. What things are plugged into the affected circuits?

This would be far simpler if you knew exactly what receptacles were on what circuits and in what order. EVERY homeowner should know this about their electrical systems.

Old 06-02-06, 07:14 PM
The GFCIs that you added to the upstairs bathrooms were not added properly. Put them back the way they were (with the power turned off).

Old 06-02-06, 07:46 PM
Good catch, Racraft. I forgot he "replaced" them during all this.