Different wires in same trench

Old 06-03-06, 01:18 PM
allenb
Visiting Guest
Different wires in same trench

I am having a new garage wired up and would like to know is it ok to have underground 6/3 in the same trench as telephone wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 01:26 PM
No. Not only is this wrong, but your phone signal will be contaminated by the em field.

Old 06-03-06, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by racraft
No. Not only is this wrong, but your phone signal will be contaminated by the em field.
Would this apply if they are in seperate conduits?

Old 06-03-06, 05:01 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Keesha
Would this apply if they are in seperate conduits?
If using pvc; you still have the emf problem
if using any metal conduit: no emf problem.

If using pvc, they should be at least 1 foot apart, prefferabley more.

Last edited by nap; 06-03-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-03-06, 10:38 PM
allenb
Visiting Guest
I am planning on running electricity,water{3/4 pvc}, a telephone wire and a satellite tv cable to the garage:all underground.Which of these can I run in the same trench?

Old 06-03-06, 10:52 PM
nap
depends on how wide or deep the trench is
just one trench is needed if it is 12 feet wide.

I would just keep the ac power at least a foot away from any of the other cables.Other than that I don;t think it makes much difference.

To be sure of no interference you may want to keep any of the cables a minimum of 1 foot from any other cable.

Old 06-04-06, 02:54 AM
The electric code recognized no (zero) clearance between the electric lines and the other services.

I would keep the phone and tv at least a foot away and make sure you use underground wires and that they are properly grounded.

You will need to install two ground rods at the garage, keep the grounds and neutrals seperate in the garage panel and bond the grounds from the panel to the new ground rods as well as connect them back to the ground at the house.

You are also supposed to run at least a 30 amp feed to the garage under the new code. This feed should terminate in a 30 amp disconnect.

Old 06-04-06, 06:37 AM
nap
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by jwhite

You are also supposed to run at least a 30 amp feed to the garage under the new code. This feed should terminate in a 30 amp disconnect
jwhite, would you take the time to post the section. I don't do a lot of resi and it's good to see you guys that do. I learn a lot from y'all.

Old 06-04-06, 08:35 AM
Look at 225.39
This is assuming that there will be more than one circuit to the garage.

Old 06-04-06, 08:59 AM
You cannot have more than one circuit to the garage, unless the second circuit is not a circuit, but rather a single line for a light.

Old 06-04-06, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
You cannot have more than one circuit to the garage, unless the second circuit is not a circuit, but rather a single line for a light.
That is my point you have to run a three wire circuit and feed a sub panel.

As far as I know even the second circuit for a light counts. That makes it two circuits and then you need the sub panel setup.

Old 06-04-06, 10:52 AM
You do not need a sub panel. A multi wire circuit counts as one circuit, but provides two 120 volt circuits.

Exceptions to the single circuit rule allow a light to be controlled from both locations (house and garage, for example).

Old 06-04-06, 08:59 PM
Whether or not the OP is required to have a subpanel wasn't the point of their question. However, based on the fact that the OP is running 6/3 UF out to the detached garage, it's pretty obvious they plan to have a subpanel (unless that garage is a LONG way from the main, and they are compensating for voltage drop).

Old 06-05-06, 06:34 PM
allenb
Visiting Guest
Yes,the garage will have a 60A sub panel.I have dug the trench for the 6/3.Would it be okay to run the tv cable and telephone line in another trench together or will they interfere with other?

Old 06-05-06, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by allenb
Would it be okay to run the tv cable and telephone line in another trench together or will they interfere with other?

I don't think you would have any problems with interference between a cable tv and phone line. "Banana Peel" cables and other structured wiring runs cable/phone/ethernet in parallel with no distance separation for hundreds of feet with no problems.

Personally, I would run a conduit in the trench for the low voltage so that you can upgrade/add cables easily later.

Old 06-05-06, 08:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless it's a club of some sort, and depending on the importance of the phone and cable, don't sweat it, bury it.
Put a layer of dirt over the power then run the other stuff.

My dad has phone lines in with his 60A feed to the out building (done before I knew what a screwdriver was) It works fine.

Or you could dig a 12' trench.