Max wires in recessed fixtures

Old 06-04-06, 07:31 AM
Max wires in recessed fixtures

I have a recessed light with a rating of 8 wires in the junction box. That is all it says is 8 wire, no gauge info or anything else. I want to run it with a 3 way switch at either end, but that requires 2-two wire sets to be run between the lights in addition to a single three wire run back to the switch. That adds up to 8 (3+2+2+ground) and is the max. However there are already the 2 wires for the light itself in the box, which I understand make my total to be 10; hence too much.

Am I correct that I overwired the box? thoughts on fixing it so it can be run this way.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-06, 09:13 AM
ISC
Originally Posted by Jamie Mikami
I have a recessed light with a rating of 8 wires in the junction box. That is all it says is 8 wire, no gauge info or anything else. I want to run it with a 3 way switch at either end, but that requires 2-two wire sets to be run between the lights in addition to a single three wire run back to the switch. That adds up to 8 (3+2+2+ground) and is the max. However there are already the 2 wires for the light itself in the box, which I understand make my total to be 10; hence too much.

Am I correct that I overwired the box? thoughts on fixing it so it can be run this way.

Hey Jamie,

Here's what i'm thinking with respect to what is least confusing:there are some links and other threads posted on this site on wiring 3-way switches and their variations, maybe a visual would helpful. Ok, running a 3-wire between the to 3-way switches and then depending on your situation, you could power one 3-way and switch leg from the other 3-way, using 14-2 for jumpers between lights. Or, you could power and switch from one side and dead end the other. It sounds like to me that you are attemting a 3-way through the light and then jumping out from that one to the others, is that right?

Old 06-04-06, 09:34 AM
I am running power to switch, 3wire from switch to light 1, 2 - 2wire from light 1 to light 2 and a 3 wire back to switch 2. That puts a count of 8 wires into the box. I agree I can change the run, but that would require a rewire which I was hoping to avoid with the correct junction box for the wires.

So do you agree that a 8 wire limit on the box means really only 6 wires going into the box. Add in the 2 exisiting wires and you have the 8 max. and the fact that my light didn't mention different counts for different gauges seemed odd as well. Not sure if that is standard for a recessed light fixture?

Old 06-04-06, 09:58 AM
First the wiring.

Your wiring is against code as you have explained it to us. Either replace the two 14-2 runs with a single 14-4 run, or wire the second switch from light 1.

Or perhaps the best solution, wire from switch one to switch two using 14-3. This way you can avoid having to deal with the 8 wire limit completely.