220 Question

Old 06-05-06, 06:56 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 Question

My house was built in 1987. I have a 220 line to power my stove. We have a gas stove, so the 220 line is not necessary for it. I am however using it to power my table saw, it requires 220. The 220 line consists of 3 wires; a white, a red, and a black. Can I run one leg of this to power a 110 outlet?

Old 06-05-06, 07:45 AM
R
Not without a ground.

And you shouldn't use it for saw with no ground either.

Old 06-05-06, 07:52 AM
C
Should this have been a 4 wire 220 line to begin with?

Old 06-05-06, 07:59 AM
C
I thought the white was a ground???

Old 06-05-06, 08:03 AM
R
The white is a neutral.

Depending on when it was installed, the line for the stove should have been four wire.

Now here's the catch - If you use the white as a ground, and the black and red as hot wires, then you have a safe 240 circuit for a straight 240 device. However, it does not meet code, but it is safe, until someone messes with it and tries to use it for a combined 120/240 load.

Old 06-05-06, 11:37 AM
J
Originally Posted by racraft
... then you have a safe 240 circuit for a straight 240 device. However, it does not meet code, but it is safe, ...
The purpose of the code is safety. To disregard it cannot be considered “safe”.

Old 06-05-06, 12:18 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juhl
The purpose of the code is safety. To disregard it cannot be considered “safe”.
some codes are written to protect against an uninformed person doing something stupid with something they know nothing about. that does not make an older code or process " unsafe" . how is running an electric wire through white PVC any more unsafe than running the same wire through grey PVC ?

Old 06-05-06, 01:26 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
how is running an electric wire through white PVC any more unsafe than running the same wire through grey PVC ?
there is big diffrence there the term white pvc is plumming pipe and grey pipe is electical conduct [ pipe ] and just all type of pipes will have a label or stamped details along the pipe

I did see few peoples try to use the white pipe [ plumming pipes ] to run in the wires and it not a wise idea espcally with ellbow the plumming elbow is very sharp turn and i am sure it will make it impossible to run the wire with very sharp bend there

the other thing is the grey pvc [ electrical type ] do come in few diffrent thickness and size and we use that related to the codes.

to understand more clear with this just read one of the wiring book and it will show the details more clear how we used it correct way.

Merci , Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: