adding plug

Old 06-05-06, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question adding plug

I am going to add a plug for window a/c between two other plugs on then same line but there is only one screw for the ground on one end were should i ground the other end ? Grounding it to the box would that be ok?

Old 06-05-06, 08:13 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, and foremost. Run a new circuit for this. Unless this circuit is lightly loaded (and it probably is not), you will wish you had a separate circuit.

Now to your question. Receptacles have a single ground connection. All grounds must be interconnected, and connected to the box if it is metal and to the device (in this case the receptacle).

I don't quite understand what you mean by inly one screw for a ground on one end. If one receptacle is not a grounded receptacle, then it is likely that the circuit is not grounded. If this is the case you absolutely cannot add a receptacle to it, and you really shouldn't use it for your air conditioner anyway.

Old 06-05-06, 09:16 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think he meant that the receptacle has only one ground screw and he has two ground wires in the box.

George - If that is the case, the ground wires must be tied together with a wire nut. An additional short ground wire must also be connected in the same wire nut (called a pigtail). This additional wire is connected to the receptacle ground. In no case may more than one wire be connected to a single terminal.

Separate from the ground issue, you need to determine what the existing load is on this circuit, what the circuit is capable of providing and can it handle the additional load of the AC unit. If this is a 15 amp circuit supplying loads such as a TV, stereo, computer, lights etc. you might be disappointed with the results. If the circuit is near capacity, you can expect as a minimum lights dimming whenever the AC compressor cycles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: