New outdoor circuit

Old 06-05-06, 09:11 AM
jwr
New outdoor circuit

I am planning a new outdoor circuit.The breaker box is on the same wall as I need to run the new circuit. I am planning on using PVC grey conduit and boxes with a gfci outlet. I can mount the outlet box pretty much directly below the breaker box on the outside wall. It will be at least 18" above the ground. Can I just run from the bottom of the breaker box directly to the outlet box or does this have to be in conduit? Remember this is inside the wall. The back of the outlet box will be the entry point. Also on the outside. The wiring does it have to be underground/outside rated cable or regular romex if it is going to be inside the pvc conduit. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 09:55 AM
Conduit is not required for this job, assuming it is not required in general where you are.

There is no need for Outdoor (UF) rated cable, regular indoor cable (NM) is allowed.

Remember that the receptacle must be GFCI protected (it is easiest and cheapest to just use a GFCI receptacle). Also remember that an in-use cover is required for the receptacle.

Old 06-05-06, 10:16 AM
jwr
Thank you for the reply. I live on Long Island, Suffolk County. If I wanted add outlets, etc there is no need to run UF cable as long as it is encased in conduit and not underground? The outlet box will be mounted directly to an outside wall. I know the extra plugs that screw into the boxes should have their threads sealed. What to use plumbers putty? Silicone caulk? If I did add circuits and this would be my j/box could I add extension ring on to this to gain some room for wiring? It gets pretty crowded in there with a gfci. Thanks again.

Old 06-05-06, 10:34 AM
jwr
Also can I use regular PVC cement or do I have to use the special conduit cement?