Best Route for 220 volt Line??

Old 06-05-06, 07:34 PM
Best Route for 220 volt Line??

Hi all
Thanks for any help. I am installing a hot tub, and I have most of what I need for the install: #6 3-wire (plus ground), a 50 amp double pole breaker, and an exterior grade 60 amp cut-off switch. I've done 120 volt wiring before, and I have a detailed diagram to follow, so I'm not worried about that.

This is the question:
How should I get the juice from the fuse box to the other side of the house? The basement is completely finished, so this could be quite messy. Can I run it along the foundation outside (in conduit of course)?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You CANNOT use this cable in conduit for the outdoor wiring portion for a spa. It is even questionable if it can/should be used in conduit at all. Real electricians say NO.

The outdoor portion of spa and pool motor wiring MUST have an insulated ground. This means conduit with individual conductors.

Granted, you have done some wiring. But are you aware of the many very important codes regarding spa wiring. This is no place to venture into unarmed knowledge wise.

Old 06-05-06, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the help. I expected an outside line wouldn't be up to code. So it has to get messy then. Can anyone explain how a professional would likely get this over to the opposite side of the house, down to the cut-off, and about 6 feet to the slab where the tub is? Like I said, the basement is a walkout, and is finished.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-06, 08:32 PM
I didn't say an outside line was against code. That cable in conduit is.
An outside conduit run is likely the best way to go.

Old 06-05-06, 08:50 PM
Absolutley don't tear the house apart !!
Use conduit on th outside and run the THHN in it.

Wires, cable and conductors are very different.

This trade is very technical, But the mechanics are just that, mechanics, stop and think and the mechanical aspects can be acheived. (running the pipe so it is consealed etc.)

Old 06-06-06, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the help. Can you give me some specifics? What, specifically, do I need to buy, and do? Thanks,
Emily

Old 06-06-06, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may want to consider hiring an electrician. There is no such thing as a how-to wire a spa guide. Every situation is different, and there are a lot of rules to follow to have a safe installation. A spa is the most complicated wiring that exists in a residential setting.

You'll probably need 1" or 1-1/4" PVC conduit and fittings using sch 80 above ground, sch 40 below ground, buried 24" deep. You'll need #6 THWN copper conductors (red,black,white) with either a #10 green THWN ground conductor or larger if specified by the manufacturer. Type NM 6/3g cable is strictly not allowed for a spa or outdoors! The spa needs GFCI protection with either a DP GFCI breaker or a GFCI disconnect. You need a disconnecting means within line of sight of the spa, but not closer than 5 feet. You need a GFCI 120V 20A receptacle 10-20 feet from the spa for unit service. The metal parts of and surround the spa must be bonded with a solid #8 copper wire. That is a very brief list of the requirements and by no means is complete.

Without seeing the location, my guess is that the conduit will exit the home through the rim joist near the breaker panel, travel alongside the foundation to a disconnect near the spa, and then go 24" underground to the spa. Schedule 80, 1-1/4" would probably be required from the exposed nature of the conduit. You also may need some pull boxes or LB fittings to make the pull possible.

Old 06-06-06, 09:55 AM
Thanks ibpooks
That's very helpful.