replacing sevice panel

Old 06-05-06, 08:44 PM
replacing sevice panel

my main service panel is a federal pacific 150amp and i want to replace it. i want to do it the right way. i searched the palmbay (fl) codes page but saw nothing about it. i know i can do just time consuming.can i do it my self? or do i have to have a lic# contractor to do it. any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 09:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would recomend a contractor do this.
The time and effort and hazard you would place on yourself.. It will be much worth the exspence.

Old 06-06-06, 08:06 AM
I suggest hiring a pro to do this. While the work is straightforward and not especially complicated, a pro can do the job faster, neater and safer.
Don't forget, the power to your house will be off for the entire time. While an electrician can do the job in a matter of hours, how long are you prepared to be w/o power if you do it yourself?
If you decide to hire an electrician, shop around. Try to get recommendations from people you know.

Old 06-07-06, 11:56 AM
(jpatz, we may be neighbors.)

I too have the FPE panel (20 years and no problem) are they as bad as some are indicating and, if so, was there a recall.

Also, what do you all think about the retrofit kits?

http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpereplace.htm

Thanks,

DWC

Old 06-09-06, 07:48 AM
LOL could be i live in palmbay fl, i want to replace it because i am adding a dishwasher and on. and there breakers are like 50 or 40 too expensive. i am going with a square d. 700 for professional and 130 for DIY. saves so much money that way. Cant be told hard. Just time consuming. The retrofit ones are alright i guess. i would rather replace the whole thing. i dont want my house to burn down. as far as a recall i have no clue looks like no one here is answering that. i will let you know how it goes i plan on replacing it this sunday. mine does not have a main disconnect on the panel it is outside. should i put one in the panel.?