Combining dual switch for timer relay

Old 06-07-06, 09:13 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Combining dual switch for timer relay

I've got a dual switch in our bathroom that controls the vent fan as well as a light IN the shower. I'd like to put this circuit on a relay timer. First, I haven't been able to locate any dual relay timer switches soif anybody knows of one please tell. Second, assuming I can't find a dual switch, should it be a safe and simple conversion to replace the dual with a single and tie the light and the fan into the same outgoing load wire? I'd think so but since this would be a circuit in a wetted area I want to make sure it's a safe conversion. There's a GFCI on a nearby wall receptacle.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-06, 09:21 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you are saying. When you say dual switches, do you mean two switches, one over the other, in a box the size of one regular switch, or a three way set up, where the light and fan are controlled from two separate locations? Or is it a two wide box with two regular switches side by side?

Old 06-07-06, 09:36 AM
R
If you have two switch loops you cannot combine the switches. Only if you have power coming into the switch box can you combine the switches.

Old 06-07-06, 10:23 AM
E
It's a single switch box with one of those Leviton 2 in 1 switches.

Old 06-07-06, 11:25 AM
G
If you don't mind the shower light and vent fan going on / off together, there are timers available. For some examples, go to www.nutone.com and then click on ventilation fans and then accessories. They have a number of switches and timers. Looks like some timers are mechanical and others are electronic.

Old 06-07-06, 07:51 PM
G
If you are willing to control the shower light and the vent fan with a single timer, there are timers which fit into your single gang box. For some examples, go to www.nutone.com and click on ventilation and then on accessories. They show both mechanical and electronic timers.

Old 06-08-06, 08:25 AM
G
If, as it sounds, you have one circuit feeding both the light and vent switches, you can tie the light and vent blacks together with a wire nut and pig tail, connecting the pig tail to the load side of the switch or timer. Same with the whites. Tie all grounds together. That way one switch or timer will control both. I've seen timers and switches together, but they have always been in a two gang box.

Old 06-08-06, 11:25 AM
E
That's what I was looking for...thanks!

Old 06-08-06, 12:00 PM
R
Just a warning.

You have not verified that this is a single circuit or that you have power coming in to the switch. It most likely is a single circuit, but it may not be. You most likely have full power into the switch, but you may not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: