Bryant Quad 30 40 40 30 breaker

Old 06-06-06, 01:49 AM
Bryant Quad 30 40 40 30 breaker

I have Bryant 30 40 40 30 quad breaker in my mobile home. It powers my electric dryer and my electric stove. The dryer is rated at 28A and my stove is rated at 40A. I have noticed that the 40A breaker is randomly tripped when running both the stove and the dryer. However, it does not happen every time, but enough to cause concern. The other day I was boiling water on high (only using the one eye and not using the stove) and had a load in the dryer and the stove turned off. I turned all 4 eyes on high and turned the oven on broil and had the dryer on and nothing happened.

My first thought was that the breaker was bad so I pulled it out. It had one long crack on one side and a large crack on the other side. Obviously this is not good, but my question is in regards to the source of the problem. Does it lie in the breaker itself or is there some underlying issue I should be more concerned with? Should I buy a 30 50 50 30?? The wires connecting to the breaker are not burnt or damaged in any way. The dryer is maybe 4 years old and the stove dates back to 1989-90.

I am new to this and would appreciate any help I can get!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-06, 04:37 AM
ISC
It had one long crack on one side and a large crack on the other side. Obviously this is not good, but my question is in regards to the source of the problem.

It could be and probably is a defective quad breaker.

Should I buy a 30 50 50 30??

No, do not put bigger breakers in their place, this is real dangerous and a fire hazard.

It sounds like your breakers are bad . Have these replaced by a qualified person and also check the ratings on your appliance nameplate to be sure that these are the correct size breakers for them. Please have this looked at right away, just because the wires are not burned or look defective, there is obviously somthing wrong.

Old 06-06-06, 11:55 AM
Possible answer to problem...

Upon further inspection of the connections I noticed that the wires were hooked up wrong. The stove has a higher gauge wire (maybe an 8) whereas the dryer has a smaller gauge wire (probably 10). The two center poles are 40 amps. There was 1 wire for the dryer and one wire for the stove connected to the center poles and vice versa. This makes sense because the stove was the only one tripping off. The stove is 40 amps on the nameplate and was connected to a 40 and a 30. The dryer is 28 amps on the nameplate and was also connected to a 40 and a 30. This would not trip the dryer. This easily explains what is going on.

The breaker is a Bryant with part # BRD230240. The outer two poles are meant to be independent while the inner two are independent trip, but connected with a bar. The outer two have a clip that would break both. With the setup described above it looks like only one would trip and cause the damage previously described. Now, I think it would be prudent to buy a breaker with part #BRDC230240 because they are setup to have the two outer poles as a common trip and the inner two as a common trip. The breaker is more expensive, but I think it is worth the extra cost.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-06, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Paseo
Now, I think it would be prudent to buy a breaker with part #BRDC230240 because they are setup to have the two outer poles as a common trip and the inner two as a common trip. The breaker is more expensive, but I think it is worth the extra cost.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Not only would this be prudent, it is also required. For a 240 volt load BOTH portions of the breaker must trip.

Old 06-06-06, 12:06 PM
BRD230240 or BRDC230240

Quick clarification if you will.

Could I still buy the BRD230240 and use the existing clips or should I go with the BRDC230240? From what I understand the latter has the poles connected internally which would guarantee both would trip.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-06, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Clips are allowed if approved and tested by the breaker manufacturer for the purpose. So, you could buy a new a breaker that came with clips; but you could not use old clips on a new breaker. Personally, I would buy the breaker with dual internal trips. There is no reason you would ever need or want to have individual tripping on a 30A or 40A. If this was a 15A or 20A breaker there would be cases to use the poles seperately, but not with 30A and 40A.

Old 06-07-06, 11:53 PM
Follow up & question

I found an electrical place that carries the breaker I need and it should be here by Friday. I do have a question that maybe you guys can answer. Typically, with a quad breaker like the one I have, should either appliance trip the breaker if both are being used at the same time? I just want to know if this is a typical occurence so that I can be prepared for it. I would assume that this should not be happening if everything is wired correctly.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 06-08-06, 04:21 AM
Using both appliances at the same time should not trip either breaker. The only thing that should trip the breaker is exceeding the rating, ie exceeding 30 amps or exceeding 40 amps.

Old 06-08-06, 10:48 AM
Thanks!

That's exactly what I thought, but I am a newbie at this and just needed to hear it from someone else. Anyway, when I get the new breaker I will experiment to see if either appliance is tripping the breaker and if it continues I will probably talk to an electrician.

Thanks again!