Afci

Old 06-07-06, 05:36 AM
Afci

Ok, my understanding is that bedrooms (lights and outlets) are suppose to be on an AFCI.

I recently installed a dimmer in my master bathroom, in the box were 4 wires:
1. power in
2. bathroom light
3. bathroom fan
4. unknown (see below)

Not knowing what #4 went to, I left it disconnected when I put the new switch in. Turned the power back on, everything worked... Oh wait, the master _bedroom_ light isn't on.
Reconnected #4, bedroom light works now.

What numnut runs the bedroom light off the bathrooms circuit breaker?

And does this constitute a code violation by the builder since the bedroom light isn't on the AFCI/Bedroom breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-06, 02:51 PM
How old is your house?
What code version was in force at the time your house was built?
Light did not always have to be on the arcfault breaker.
Local codes may have superceded the code.

Old 06-07-06, 02:58 PM
AFCI requirements are fairly new, and some locations still haven't completely adopted them. Depending on the age of the house they may not be required at all, until you do an upgrade/remodel.

Depending on the AFCI requirement, there is nothing wrong with bathroom lights and bedroom lights being on the same circuit. The three loads you mentioned are all minor, and can easily be handled by a single circuit, even a 15 amp one.

Now for the lecture. You should already know EVERYTHING on the circuit. Everyone should know what is controlled by each and every circuit breaker in their house or apartment. This information could save your life. It is also invaluable when a problem arises. It should be determined within a short period of time after moving in. It should be determined BEFORE doing any electrical work on the house, so you should have determined if BEFORE you started your little project.

Old 06-07-06, 05:53 PM
The home was built in 2004, using Floridas 2000 codes, all the bedrooms (and the smoke detectors) are on AFCI's.

No need to lecture me, all my breakers are labeled, but it's not as simple as that, as we see.

I think it should be a requirement that the builder(electriction) label the breaker box, after all he is the one that wired it. The wires in boxes and the panel should also be labeled.

I only knew what two of the wires on the box were for based on the switch they were connected to. I had to test the other two to find out which one was power and what the other one did.

It would seem that power is supplied to the ceiling outlet both by the AFCI and bathroom breakers.

Old 06-07-06, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Pendragon
What numnut runs the bedroom light off the bathrooms circuit breaker?
That would be me I guess.
I very often combine bath lights with the hall lights and sometimes a bedroom if the load is light. I don't care to use #12 for lighting so I rarely put bath fans and lights on the receptacle circuit. I typically run a circuit to each bath for receptacles only.

Who ever said each room needs it's own circuit? What if a hall has a light and there is a fan and light in a bath? Do you rpopose this should be on a dedicated circuit simply to not combine them with a bed room's lighting?

Old 06-07-06, 06:25 PM
Also, I would check your local code office for the AFCI requirement. My area is under a state building code for 1 & 2 family dwelling, which is based on the 1999 NEC. The AFCI requirement is not enforced and no one I know installs them.
When we adopt a new NYSRBC soon I believe they will begin enforcing this rule. Yea.

Old 06-07-06, 06:35 PM
>I think it should be a requirement that the builder(electriction) label the breaker box, after all he is the one that wired it. The wires in boxes and the panel should also be labeled.<

IT IS already required !!! And up to your local (tax/FEE paid) inspector to enforce.

>I only knew what two of the wires on the box were for based on the switch they were connected to. I had to test the other two to find out which one was power and what the other one did.< (now try that 4/5 times a day, with nothing to go on, and have the people complain when you charge them for it)

It is however not required to list every wire/cable in every box.

We should all take note of what does what when we take somthing apart... a car, a tool etc... then we know how to add or just simply put back together the item we took apart.

Live and learn, don't depend on others (sadly).

Old 06-07-06, 07:06 PM
The small chart they provide on most panels for labeling the breakers is inadequate for most setups. it works if you have a single room on a circuit, but as soon as you get something complicated there just isn't enough room to properly list the loads.

One of the reasons that each new homeowner or apartment dweller should identify the circuits is because the list done by the electrician is often incomplete and/or because a circuit or two has been added to along the way and the chart may not have been updated.

I doubt very much that two separate circuits are combined. The likely scenario is that the electrician wired the bathroom lights on the bedroom circuit. There is nothing wrong with this.

You may very well find that the bathrooms in the house have a single circuit for the receptacles. While not ideal, this would be to code, and it would prevent the bathroom lights from being on the same circuit.

Old 06-07-06, 07:42 PM
When I do the bathrooms, I bring in 1 ckt, Vanity lights will not be on the gfi and the fan light will. That way with a GFI trip, you still have lights as required.

Then I can leave the bedrooms alone(or with the general purpose rec. in the hallway)