how to repair hole in roof from old weatherhead

Old 06-08-06, 12:12 AM
how to repair hole in roof from old weatherhead

Had my service upgraded but the electrician (friend) didn't seal off the hole from the old weatherhead.

What's the best way to do this? I'm thinking shingles on the roof side and roofing caulk on the inside surface of the hole, where the shingle/roof meet.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-06, 07:28 AM
I'm not a roofer but have sealed up holes from tree limbs and once a fireplace which was removed with just some sheetmetal slid up under the shingles like a roof jack flashing. Was quick, easy and inexpensive. You could paint to blend in if desired.

Old 06-08-06, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by CovTiger
I'm not a roofer but have sealed up holes from tree limbs and once a fireplace which was removed with just some sheetmetal slid up under the shingles like a roof jack flashing. Was quick, easy and inexpensive. You could paint to blend in if desired.
That's an idea. I've got some flashing I could use. Did you nail down and also use adhesive?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-06, 02:29 PM
Slid the top up under the shingles above and nailed. Then a couple roofing nails at the bottom. Just like installing a roof jack or attic ventilator. The only sealing needed was a dab of caulk on the lower exposed nails to keep them from leaking.

Old 06-08-06, 02:37 PM
cool, thanks !