wiring garage

Old 06-08-06, 06:43 PM
wiring garage

I am using 12 guage wire. I need to know is there a certain depth I need o bury this wire from house to garage and can I put it straight in the trench or do I need to put it thru pvc or something like that?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-06, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by beroofed
I am using 12 guage wire. I need to know is there a certain depth I need o bury this wire from house to garage and can I put it straight in the trench or do I need to put it thru pvc or something like that?
You must provide much more info than you have for a reasonable responce.
What type of 12 GA. wire do you have? how far to the garage?
What are your total intentions for the power once it gets to the garage?

Enlarge the "picture" for us and I'm sure we can help.

Old 06-08-06, 07:33 PM
Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are taking power to a detached garage where there is currently no electrical. Is this correct?

If so, you have two options: 1. Obtain some UF cable (aka "direct burial cable") and you can just bury it in a trench. 2. Bury conduit in a trench and pull individual THWN conductors through it.

I would run at least 1" PVC conduit myself. That way, if I ever want more than one circuit in the garage, I can replace the wires with a heavier guage that will allow for a subpanel in the garage, thus allowing multiple circuits.

If you just do the UF cable, at the very least, run 12-3 w/ground UF. This allows a multi-wire circuit, which is, in effect, two circuits sharing a neutral wire. That will give you twice the power for the same effort, and just a little more money.