3 way switches

Old 06-08-06, 08:56 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 way switches

How do I wire the following . . .

1 box with 2 3-way switches (controlling two different things). I have power coming from a separate 3-way switch to one of the switches in this box (for the lights). The other 3-way switch controls a hall light, but needs power. So, how do I get the power from the one switch to the other, in the same box?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-06, 11:13 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can feed the first 3-way in each system from the same power. But they have to be independent after that.

Old 06-09-06, 04:36 AM
R
You would have to feed with four conductor (plus ground) cable. One wire carries the neutral, another the always hot, and the other two are the travelers.

Old 06-09-06, 04:44 AM
I
ISC
Talking

Originally Posted by unglaa
How do I wire the following . . .

1 box with 2 3-way switches (controlling two different things). I have power coming from a separate 3-way switch to one of the switches in this box (for the lights). The other 3-way switch controls a hall light, but needs power. So, how do I get the power from the one switch to the other, in the same box?

I have power coming from a separate 3-way switch to one of the switches in this box (for the lights).

Do you mean that this 3-way is powered from one side and switched from the other?

So, how do I get the power from the one switch to the other, in the same box?

If this 3-way is powered from another location and you are switching your light from this location and now you want to power another 3-way from this box, you have to put power into this box. You could locate the circuit from which this 3-way is powered and run a 14-2 into the box for power or you could bring another power into the box from another circuit, make sure to seperate the neutrals when working with 2 differnt circuits in the same box.

Or you could be asking how to power up another 3-way from a box that already has power? In this case you would pigtail your power wire and put it on the common screw of the 3-way switch.

I hope this helps, some more details would be good.

Old 06-09-06, 09:40 AM
J
Received 247 Votes on 217 Posts
Tell us the whole story.
Are you trying to add a new 3way hall light to an exisiting 3way? Where is the other switch for hall light. A 3way indicates you have at least two switches? Where is power source for these 3ways?
Tell us all the wires in the switch box.