bath fan and light

Old 06-08-06, 08:52 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bath fan and light

I am finishing my basement and am working on the bathroom. I have power going to the light switch and from there to the light, but how do I get power diverted to the fan switch so it can run off the same circuit?

Old 06-08-06, 11:16 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Assuming the fan switch is in the same box as the light switch, they are paralleled off the same hot wire. Then, they separately feed their own fixtures from the switched side.

You are switching them independently, correct?

Old 06-09-06, 04:40 AM
R
unglaa,

This is the second question you have posted with very basic questions. We don't mind answering them, but it sounds like your doing more work than the questions ask for help on.

Please, and I say this for your own safety, buy and read two or three books on electrical wiring. Start with Wiring Simplified. Books will answer the questions you have asked so far, and more importantly will also answer the questions you have not asked.

Basic electrical wiring is straight forward and can be done by an do it yourselfer. But it is easy to make a mistake, and electricity can kill. It causes fires and people die. Please be safe.

Last edited by racraft; 06-09-06 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 06:50 AM
U
I appreciate your reply, but am unsure what you mean by "the question you have not asked." I have several wiring books that I have read and reread regularly to make sure that I am doing things correctly. And, rest assured, I will have all of the work checked before moving on.

All of my books explain how to hook up a fan or a bath light independently, but none of them explain how to run them off the same circuit. Instead of just trying to figure it out myself, I thought I'd ask for suggestions here.

Old 06-09-06, 06:51 AM
U
Originally Posted by MAC702
Assuming the fan switch is in the same box as the light switch, they are paralleled off the same hot wire. Then, they separately feed their own fixtures from the switched side.

You are switching them independently, correct?
Yes, independently. Thank you for your help. That makes perfect sense.

Old 06-09-06, 06:59 AM
R
That should have been a plural "Questions you have not asked." and refers to any of the information that you might get wrong when you do this job.

For example. Are the light and fan on a different circuit than the receptacle in the bathroom, or does this circuit serve nothing else but the bathroom and is it a 20 amp circuit?

There are numerous other questions but I hope you get the idea.

Last edited by racraft; 06-10-06 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 07:42 PM
C
Originally Posted by unglaa
All of my books explain how to hook up a fan or a bath light independently, but none of them explain how to run them off the same circuit. Instead of just trying to figure it out myself, I thought I'd ask for suggestions here.
Respectfullty...if you have read many books and are still asking this type of question, you are not processing the info usefully, and need more remedial work on your knowledge base before proceeding.
Keep studying, get a friend who knows this stuff and can help, or hire an electrician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: